Pete 386 with the Paccar MX engine

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Flying Finn, Feb 22, 2011.

1. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Scaniaman,if you have so much hate for anything Paccar,what are you doing on the Peterbilt Forum?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    The facts are the facts , I've owned dafs , subcontractors running for me owned them and friends of mine owned them , the outcome is always the same, 600,000 (375,000 miles) seems to be their limit, like I said of all the dafs I've known only one made it to a million kms and it was ruined, three weeks ago I picked up a 2009 mx engined daf from a lay-by near whitchurch in England and brought it home cos the engine was wrecked in that too, I'm telling you the facts and it's not a rant , I suspect you're either working for daf or you're completely deluded!

4. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Warning poor misfortunates off buying these piles of scrap before they cost them a fortune as they did to me

5. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    daf have largest market share only in tractors if we look all round it should be mercedes or volvo

as for daf as truck i like it very much i was surprised by it , comfort truck lot of space , everything in cab is good except: i dont like it rotated clocks which always confuse you i prefer that 1500rpm is at middle of gauge.

also dont like small hole under side compartment but it looks like it is now larger than before or just it seems to be

i dont like brake pedal it looks like it is 50year old

also dont like too steep steps , my knees always hit cab floor

i notice that some of them have water leak in cab above doors

lot of space inside very good solution under bunk for luggage and refrigerator ,maybe instrument panel is too much inside limiting space for walk also bunks are very comfortable not soft like in volvo

seems to me that cab suspension is very problematic on our bad roads

dont like brakes they are hard to dose everything else is very good

engine brake is very impressive it can hold 40t( 88200lbs) on 9% 10km(6.2mille) downhill with lot of bends with 62kmh(38.5mph), it can hold same weight on 4mille 8% hill with 70kmh(43.5mph) with 1600-1750rpm

fuel economy if you run lighter you get 38-40L 5.8-6.15mpg

if you run heavier fully loaded in both direction and dont come in flat part of country 46L (5.1mpg) but this include almost nothing except hills

that engine was overhauled twice not it have now about 600k if i remember good

daf choked this engine maybe because of lifetime

problem to have daf here is : there is only one service in my country and only one in bosnia and this truck does not come even close to those services and there is no one who can work on daf of non official services so truck come in service every year or two

in bosnia there is not too many services for trucks and this is reason why volvo is best seller there because it does not need any service for a long time

dont know any mx engine here with more than 600 000km without any overhauls maybe it is only for good european roads

last daf engine which make owners happy here was euro2 engine with boschpump on xf95 430 and similar

Scania man Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    One of the biggest sales pitches my local kw/pete dealers
    make is they have made these engines for years. What went
    on with the daf engine on the other side of the pond has a
    lot to do with this thread.

I got the shaft from cat in 07 and don't want it to happen
    again. The more info about this engine(mx) the better.
    Before I have to choose mx or isx.

Scania man Thanks this.
  7. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    600,000kms is the limit here too, haven't seen many go beyond that without a rebuild

8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    This thread is about the MX.

I find it interesthing that you are warning people about something you haven't owned or worked on.

9. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Truth is they were never a fantastic engine but in the last 10 years they've got steadily worse, and here at least so has the dealer backup! The mx is terribly troublesome , everybody I know that has one are having big problems with them, daf sell Alot of trucks into big fleets like supermarket chains etc where they are usually leased and go back to the dealer after a couple of years where in this country at least are promptly exported , hard to find one here older than 2005-2006.

Im just telling you my experience with them and the experience of some of my friends so my advice to you is stick to the engine brand you know about, besides I'd imagine service and parts for your local engine brands will be easier

10. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Code:

No but I've ran them, subcontractors that were working for me had them, I could see first hand how often they broke down, not only did they cost my subcontractor money but caused my company serious disruption too!

The euro 2 models like I had were better than the mx so it's irrelevant that I never actually owned the mx itself

11. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.