Peterbilt vs. International?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by NSteinbecker, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Voodoo Pyg

Voodoo Pyg Oink! Oink!

Jan 25, 2015
    Texas
    Just give me the Pete all the way around. In the short time I was out with my former company, I heard a lot of my co-workers complaining about how they were handing out Peterbilts to everyone. Straight out of training I even told everyone I wanted a Pete. I even told one "Hey. IF they give me a KW and you a Pete, we'll see about trading keys." I was only out on the road for three weeks in my 587 before tragedy struck and I lost my job, but I will say this much. I trained in a Freightliner Cascadia and a KW T-680. I drove my Pete across nearly 20 states and I will never look back again. If I had it to do again, I'd STILL ride in a Peterbilt. All of those saying "the mpgs are not good", I have to ask you this much: What are you doing wrong? I'd go 600 miles or more on a full tank before I have to fill up and still pass the scale houses without a problem. My last load which was a short one and my final, I filled my Pete just enough to get me to Texas from Tennessee. I fueled up one last time in Lufkin and that same diesel took me from Houston back to Dallas on the last ride. It's all in your weight distribution, shifting, and fuel management. That's with any truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

My first truck was/is a 99 9200.that truck is tough. And when my dad goes to peterbilt for parts and me to maxim, I cringe at the price difference. Like said above, people don't drive peterbilt flattops because they are smart choices. They do so because they look good an have held their value just the same as a Harley that isn't worth what they are selling for compared to the competition. My dads 06 379 runs smoother than my truck but also has a longer wheelbase and is not a setback axle truck. That said I've been in a couple year older 379 than my fathers and that didn't ride any better than my binder

4. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

Accidentally hit post lol....

The parts for my binder are much cheaper than a Pete and the quality imo isn't any lower. But I wouldn't buy a max force engine either. Stick to cat, Detroit or cummins. I wouldn't buy new. I would stick with old enough to avoid all that emission garbage. Good luck with your choice.

5. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Smart Man DDS60. I've always made the same comparison....Pete to Harley. Both overpriced and not any better than anything else on the market.
    I almost had a heart attack one time when someone stole the fuel tank caps off one of my old Petes when I saw the price to buy new ones.
    Yes they ride nice, but my 4900 Star rides better.
    As far as Internationals, toughest trucks I have ever owned. Ya, they ride rough (mine were heavy spec) but the last one had 1.5 million kilometres on/off road with no failures other than the rad rotted out. I've ran S2674, 9300, 9400i, 9900i and Paystar 5000 and 5600i's. But like you said They were Cat powered.
    I don't think any of these new motors are worth their weight in scrap.

So before I get all the hate from the Pete owners....remember......they ALL break. Some are good, some are bad. But I'll spend less on a Binder and do the same job.

G/MAN Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.