Peterilt 579 antenna options

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by breadtrk, Jul 25, 2016.

1. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I've searched and didn't find much, Google too for an alternative mount. I'll be moving into a new one in 2 weeks. Help me find some mounting options for a K40 big coil antenna.

I hope I can run my 2970n4 or 69ffb4 in it but can do back to the 98vhp if necessary. I'm currently in an evolution and with 4ga wire run to the battery farthest from the one the truck connects too the b4 freaks the computer out so I'm using the vhp for now. I'd really like to get one of my big radios working in the new truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    I've seen that one, 30+ years I've had more than my share of antennas torn off the pass side. I do much rural state rote driving. It has to be driver side or back of cab possibly.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What is wrong with the factory mount?

5. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    Because it is plastic, bolted through fiberglass with crappy coax and I don't want to tear out the new interior to run my lmr 400 to plastic mounts that probably won't hold up to my antenna.

I'm not connecting a 200w or 400w radio to factory junk.

6. Jesus is the only way

Jesus is the only way Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Coeburn V.A.
    The only thing that comes to mind is a outback antenna mount. It goes on the back of your cab and sticks out about even with the cab and trailer. It's no where near an ideal location but you can run the big radios with it using what ever coax you like. I know for a fact that those new radios do not like high SWR, they will blow the chokes and mosfets out of em in a heart beat.

7. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    Got some home time, hooked up the 2970n4 and for what ever reason it is working just fine today.

8. Jesus is the only way

Jesus is the only way Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Coeburn V.A.
    Be careful with that radio. Those new mosfet radios don't like even slightly high SWR and they will blow the chokes and mosfets out of em if you are not careful...and that's a $300 fix!

I like the old pill radios myself like the 95T and 4600 turbo, they put up with more than what this new stuff will.

9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Just last night i saw the 2970n4 on marks vids.....I think i drewled...BIG power that mark tunes,jesus i could talk 5-6 miles on that with my set up instead of the 3/4 im doin now..#### CASCADIAS
    As for ant mounts,thats a tough call....I have one of the outbacks on my cascadia but to much signal was lost between the cab and dry box i towed...I took out my field strength meter one day to see,Sweet frig all signal was gettin out till i got between cab and trailer..

10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    What application are you referring to?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.