Pilgrim's Mt. Pleasant, TX (Hopper)

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by powerhousescott, Aug 8, 2015.

Do you think the shipper should be required to pay for the lost revenue to the trucker?

1. Yes, that would be what the truck could have made by the mile in the same 24 hrs

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, the trucker should just suck it up and drive on

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yes but not quite as much as was decribed.

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Our truck pulled into Pilgrims in Mt. Pleasant, TX at 12:00 (noon) on 08/07/15, there were 15 trucks ahead of ours, they told us it was taking about 20-30 min each to load. Giving the math we should have been loaded between 21:00 - 23:00 that night. My guys rolled out at 12:00 (noon) on 08/08/15. The line did not go down, the workers were not lazy, the guys said they were working as fast as they could. What would be the problem, not enough workers to do the job. They require a wash out and don't want to reimburse for it. They wan't a wash out for about anything that was in the hopper prior. We hauled organic feed prior, and were picking up feather meal from them. The same products that they were stating we needed the washout for were also in their product and then some. I have no problem with getting a washout if the customer wants it, providing they are willing to pay for the washout, the extra miles and the extra time involved. Luckily for us, I had the guys stop along the way and get the washout to just be prepared for the possibility.

Total Lost Money for this project:

Washout: $50.00
    Time Lost: 24 hrs @ $100.00 per hour $2400.00 (based upon what this truck could do in one day with two drivers)

Total revenue loss for this project: $2450.00

If the management at Pilgrims had to pay that or half of that for each truck that they were loading they would:

A: hire more people to get the job done faster
    B: only order the number of trucks they needed
    C: pay up and not worry about it (we know that is not going to happen)

Remember not to let your emotions play when posting, only use the facts, do not make up bogus things when using another's name, that would be legally considered libel. Just stick to the facts and the truth and you will not loose in a lawsuit. In this case I have two drivers and myself, time ins and out, to back up our statements.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    They are scheduling too many trucks to unload. They probably know it. Just a Friday afternoon screwing, imo.

powerhousescott Thanks this.
  4. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    I would agree with you normally, but the guy that was about three trucks in front of my guys had been there since the day before, he had 36 hrs waiting to get loaded. I have already gotten phone calls from other hopper guys and my guys confirmed this, they were loading their own trucks (even if they came in behind ours) before they were loading the outside carriers. So it goes to reason that they don't want to loose money on their trucks but it is ok for us to loose money for them. Don't worry, the next time somebody ask for our truck to go there we will be adding in the $2400.00 to the basic rate per mile. This is how we do it here, we may take it on the chin one time, but after that we either get paid in advance or we won't haul from or to that location any more.

blade Thanks this.
  5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

How is your contract worded about wait times at the place?
    Do you have appointments or is it first come first served?
    I would give them 3 hours free time and then bill for the other time you sat waiting to ld. or unld. Which ever is the case..
    They don't wanna pay, well either jack your rate up or not go back.
    that's my thoughts on it..
    Good luck.

6. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    When you run spot market, as you well know there is not a contract as the Mega-Carriers have. Nor am I interested in going to contract with these type of companies. Those type of contracts are lopsided for the shipper, so the only recourse a small carrier like myself has is to let others know the truth, and the next time they call for one of our trucks we do exactly what you say, jack up the rates for the previous lost revenue from going there. Maybe if all looked at my numbers and started asking for the extra $2400.00 going in, then who cares if it takes 24 hrs to get loaded. By the way when we hauled frac sand they indeed paid the $100.00 per hr for our trucks. I have other customers as well that pay that money. The bottom line is that this location would rather load their own trucks vs outside carriers. OUTSIDE CARRIERS BE WARNED!!!

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I understand on spot markets.. When we run into issues we call or email the broker and see if they are paying our wait times. Most do some don't.. I have over the years pulled off a deal because of not paying for my time... Pisses them off, but hey time is money.
    Problem now is there are too many trks. that will take it in the backside. Well I need the work they say. So do I but I don't work for free.. Well kinda seeing whom I'm leased to at the current time...

8. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Yeah, I know what you are talking about. My guys and I were having this talk last night and were getting ready to deadhead back to Peculiar vs sitting it out. My guys said they would ride it out because they know that I will tell the truth to the rest of the truckers out there, and also put a price out for others to know what to ask for going in. Sometimes we take the hit just to get the information, I had heard for a long time how bad it was there and had never sent one of our trucks in before. I had already pushed the price up more then the other trucks were getting because of past information. Now that the information is confirmed by my truck, I have a moral obligation to tell others the truth, along with an evaluation as to what the problem is, and the cost to fix the problem. I figure that Pilgrim's won't want to pay my consulting fees, so here is the way to get them to pay the rest of you my consulting fees. Not saying we won't go in again, but next time it will cost even more. Once they fix their problem I will let everybody know, and then we can lower the price a little for them.

You know the deal there will be another sucker that will go in there without knowing what is about to happen to them. I feel that if you already know, and can bid accordingly then you are better prepared for the battle. You notice I am not griping about the rate per mile from my customer (the buyer).

9. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    So the company should pay your candy tail to washout your trailer!! So they can put their product in it? What planet are you from kiddo? Suck it up and drive!!

10. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    If they request the washout then yes. Please read the prior product, and before you tell me to suck it, remember that we can't just run down to the local blue beacon and get a washout. Washouts used to be paid for in both the hopper and livestock world. Now that freighthauling brokers are here they think we should do more and more for free. By the looks of your pay to date I am believing that you are a freighthauler, tell the bull rack or the hopper guy to suck it and see what happens. When you are ready to start Riding Dirty give me a call and I will show you what real trucking really is.

YTD: $102,654.52 with one truck only running on average 1600 - 2000 miles per week. So there you go SUCK IT!!

blade Thanks this.
  11. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Dude all that money and you crying like a female k9!! Suck it up man. Don't bring your dirty trailer to my company expecting a hand out. You are in the big boy leagues. Stop acting brand new. I'm a company driver sir. And since you don't have pics!! Bump the numbers up son. My riding dirty days are over. If my picture was still on there from the forum switch. You would see why I said riding dirty!! Again here's a quarter call somebody who cares;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.