Pilot now has "reserved" parking

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by 8thnote, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    IMAG0701.jpg I stop to fuel at the Pilot in Knoxville I-40 x374 five nights per week. Pulled in tonoite and noticed a new feature. 10 spots are now "reserved parking" pay spots. It was only a matter of time....

$12 per spot.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Dominick253, HalpinUout and dca Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I was wondering when.. they all do it sooner or later

4. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
  5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    The Flying J in Oak Grove, KY had 10-12 pay spots when I was there the other day too :(

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Those are 12 spots that won't be commandeered for 5 days as someone takes home time. At least they will be available. The company will reimburse or you can itemize at tax time.

I understand the sentiment but it's not the end of the world and some night at 22:00 you'll be glad to pay the $12.00

7. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Actually, I drive local and go home every day so it doesn't effect me, personally, in the least. I just was surprised to see it there yesterday, as I stop at that same Pilot every night and it wasn't there last week.

Also, I doubt the megas are gonna be reimbursing their drivers for "reserved" parking. And $12 a couple or three times a week could really add up quick for the guys making .32 cpm.

It obviously doesn't bother you to pay for what used to be free, but it just kinda rubs me wrong to see these truck stops shamelessly gouging drivers for every cent they can get. Their prices are already inflated and this is just one more thing. The "free" showers will be the next thing to go.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Most of the places I'm aware of will reimburse parking, at least up to so many in a month. I'm not at a mega, but my mid-size company reimburses parking with receipt because they understand sometimes it's just necessary and a normal cost of trucking today.

I used to feel the same way you do until I began to think about it a bit more. Trucking has changed, HOS rules and 24/7 appointments and limited places that offer early arrival and after unload parking so having a paid spot available at midnight is a lot better then having no spot available and having to go into violation.

And like I mentioned before, truck stop operators have to contend with A LOT of their parking being consumed, especially on weekends by trucks where the driver is not even in the truck, but rather at home in their underwear watching Walking Dead reruns. Add in also that many drivers refuse to spend any money in the truck stop, but have no problem taking a 12 hour break there, and clogging their toilets and emptying their trash on the lot.

It's the nature of trucking that has changed, and truck stops have to adapt, and you can find plenty of drivers who appreciate knowing they can run until midnight and have a safe place to park and not have to worry about no parking after a long drive/unload. Some paid parking among a lot of free parking is still better then no truck stop, or 100% controlled parking.

Reefer haulers who often have appointments between 20:00 and 04:00 are especially grateful for the service.

ncmickey, delta5, brian991219 and 5 others Thank this.
  9. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I understand that it can be convenient for some and I also understand that truck stops exist to make a profit. But do they really need to make 1/3 of their lot pay to park?

That Pilot is pretty small and most nights it isn't even completely full. Like I said, I fuel there 5 nights per week and I get there around the same time every night (~1 am, +/- 30 min) and usually there are 3 or 4 open spots. Now they've made 10 spots pay-spots, so they will be charging ~6 drivers per night. I doubt many will call ahead to reserve spots there, because they're not always full and many drivers that would've parked in a free spot (and potentially spent money in the store or the Wendy's) will now go on to some place else. If you call and order a spot, then there are still free spots open when you arrive, are they gonna refund your $12? My guess is no, at least not in a way that is quick or convenient. They should at least offer a "free" reserved spot with a fuel purchase also, but they do not.

But what do I know? I'm sure they have whole market-research teams dedicated to studying the issue in depth and from every angle. If they can make $60 profit from parking spots vs. making $59 profit from store purchases, they will do it in a second. They know customer satisfaction is not a high priority because of limited options for drivers.

Knucklehead Thanks this.
  10. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    my satisfaction is paramount with me
    and i will gladly pay for parking anytime
    if it only keeps my hood intact from a ramen noodle eater

mud23609, ncmickey, wore out and 3 others Thank this.
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.