Possible load abandonment

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Kryss, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Kryss

Kryss Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Ok so I'm a newbie. I started with this small company in dayton about 2 months ago. I had asked a week in advance to get some home time after being out for six weeks. They said yes. I picked up a load and was told to head to their only terminal. I sit for 24 hours at terminal. I get there and ask if I can go home they said no I must deliver load. So I said no I'm going home. (Four other drivers there could have taken load.) I ended up quitting but they are saying they are going to put a load abandonment on my DAC. I already have another job but I don't think the load abandonment is fair. I was told to come to terminal. Not go deliver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Not many drivers are going to touch this one. It's subjective. But I'll give you my opinion for what its worth.

You should have delivered the load. Unless... you were scheduled for surgery or a close family member was on their deathbed. Trucking is not an exact science and often you will get home within a few days of when you wanted. It pays to play ball with those you work for. This means it is tough as all get out to schedule anything. It's part of the job, driver.

If it was a true emergency... then ya, dump the load and boogie. Consequences be hanged.

blairandgretchen and Kryss Thank this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Can you reword or embellish on that a bit?? You sat at the terminal for 24 hours, then asked to go home. Why sit at the terminal for 24 hours? I'm confused.

blairandgretchen and 77smartin Thank this.
  5. Kryss

Kryss Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    I sat at terminal because it was closed on Sunday. I had asked prior to the trip to go home. A California run where I sat for 4 days. This is a small flatbed/stepdeck company that didn't do buisness properly in the first place. They lost 3 drivers the same day I left.

6. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Is it that terminal around exit 57 or so right of off 75?

7. Kryss

Kryss Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    They bring the trucks in and swap all the loads around. Even loads that shouldn't be loaded under or on top of other loads. Partials on top of partials. Needless to say it wqs just the hair that broke the camels back when I couldn't go home.

8. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Plenty good companies around Dayton...no need to worry about some crap outfit. Hopefully you learned from this and got on with a legitimate company.

Kryss and miss elvee Thank this.
  9. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Yeah. I'm gonna agree with @77smartin. There's gotta be more wrong then them just not getting people home for 4 drivers to walk in one day.

If they do slap it on your DAC, tell them about your experience and about that old company's CSA record. Sounds like a real fly-by-night outfit. A shame we even have to deal with them, but at least you learned and moved on.

Better luck with the new job. :)

G13Tomcat and Kryss Thank this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if you can, keep whatever evidence you have to prove you took the load where you were supposed too.

if i asked for hometime. and that's what they brought me as was asked. i wouldn't have sat at the terminal either.
    course, you should have had a key to get in to the yard if they are closed on sundays. that's not fair to leave the drivers hanging.

lesson learned. have a plan to park your truck and grab your car. deliver your load when it's time. and go back home. or whatever the hometime circumstances are.

one thing your going to learn, is the attitude of trucking companies. YOU DON'T LIVE AT HOME. YOU LIVE IN THE TRUCK. it's easy getting time off. it's NOT easy when it's actually time for that time off. companies will mess with you and do what they can to screw you. don't be afraid to argue.

as for your DAC. never work for a company that uses DAC.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    are you talking about flatbad company located on Valley St, Dayton, OH. ? if yes don't worry about load abandonment report...))) they will not do it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.