Post your abusive trainer stories here

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by moloko, Oct 5, 2015.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I'll start with mine! I have a couple of years experience as a driver, so I know how to drive a truck. So with that in mind, the next time I am ever stuck with a "trainer", I am going to have to remind him that 1) I am the driver, and 2) do not correct my driving unless there is something obviously dangerous about it.

I got hired on with this fuel hauling company, and they put me with a trainer. His role, was to train me to get certified at the loading racks and to teach me how to unload the fuel. This guy, had zero experience as a trainer. I was his first trainee, and he clearly thought "trainee" meant "slave." This guy had me working through my lunch breaks, kept me from taking 10 minute breaks, and threw me under the bus to management constantly.

One day in particular stands out. This guy tried to keep me at work long after I had clocked out, and I left without his 'blessing.' This was a clear pattern of behavior at this point, and I wasn't having it on this particular day. The next day, this guy flipped out at me for leaving after work, because 'the trainee leaving before the trainer doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.' This guy then accused me of being 'self-centered', among other things. I had to remind him that working off the clock was illegal, and I wasn't going to have any of it.

His Jekyll and Hyde personality was unlike anything I have dealt with in the workplace. To see and hear this guy interact with management, he was a total fake workplace politician; he was conversational and cordial to the dispatcher's faces, he name dropped all of the top management on an hourly basis, and made it a point to constantly remind me that he was connected. But as soon as nobody was around, he would change 180 degrees and act like he was about to stab me repeatedly.

He made me do all of the driving, and criticized every single thing that was wrong, that wasn't wrong, and that could possibly go wrong under a very certain and specific set of circumstances that we would probably never, ever find ourselves in. I was always shifting too rough, driving too slow, and it was my fault the guy remodeling his bathroom didn't call him back.

This guy was unprofessional, racist, and told me I couldn't listen to the radio while driving. Meanwhile, he sat in the passenger seat sleeping and listening to conservative talk radio on his headphones, laughing to himself and conversing with the broadcasters as if he were a part of the live broadcast himself. AT this time, Requiem for a Dream is coming to mind, and he is the old psychotic woman thinking she is on the gameshow. . . (if you remember that movie, haha)

Long story short, I got fired for complaining about this guy. And I don't really care. Screw 'em. Post your stories here, I know CR ENGLAND, Swift, Werner and the other bottom feeders have similar horror stories.

nadiyah2000 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You should cut&paste your post and email it to the president of the company; not the terminal manager. Remind him that DOT frowns on falsifying logs and time cards.

I had a jerk like that one time. I needed to run short runs due to family circumstances and the new job offered that. The trainer wore lots of gold jewelery and fake diamonds, thus his CB handle "Diamond Jim."
    He didn't like me because I'm a military veteran, but since the terminal manager was also a vet, he couldn't use that against me. After each trip he reported my progress, or lack thereof, to the terminal manager and complained that I was talking up the union and that I thought we should organize and join a union. This almost got me fired until I convinced the terminal manager I hadn't mentioned a union and in fact would quit if a union was ever voted in. He constantly snitched on everyone, even if he had to make up a story.
    He lived close to the terminal so at the end of the shift would go home without clocking out, then a few hours later would sneak back to the terminal and clock out. Good old "Diamond Jim" was finally fired for falsifying his time card. He caused problems for a lot of people at the company before they finally figured him out.
    Probably most of those horrible trainers have skeletons in the closet, so if you can figure out what they are, it's payback time. Maybe something as simple as talking on a cell phone while driving; take a picture or film with your phone and save it for payback time.
    At least for me, payback is much more fun than just yelling back at them because they don't see it coming.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    moloko Thanks this.
  4. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    The terminal manager was about as useless as the trainer. This was a company, that seemed completely stellar on the surface. But it became apparent that the company thrived on a hostile work environment, constant and pervasive wage theft, and cut-throat policies. For example, my coworker was a really , really nice guy- he was hired the day before me. His trainer told him he wasn't allowed to talk to anybody, and to 'keep to himself' because everyone is a rat, or some paranoid crap like that. His trainer seems to have forgotten that prison was 15 years ago and now , he is a truck driver. This isn't the prison yard dude, this is the trucking yard. Put the shank away man.

By the way Chinatown, what you described sounded like a very good retaliation lawsuit. But as my lawyer tells me, you'd rather have a job, than a lawsuit :)

With that in mind, it was a really good move on my part to formally complain in writing of being forced to work off the clock, 2 days before the company fired me. When I explained to the terminal manager very calmly, my cause of action (read: I'm going to sue you all so hard that by time we are done digging into your pocketbooks, and maxing out your insurance policy premiums; i'll be fist deep inside of you and digging up behind the back of your molars) , the look on his face was really priceless. The dude stuttered and said, "your complaint uh, has nothing to do with this." To which I replied with some labor code statutes about retaliatory discharge, the legally protected nature of my complaint, and that due to the close temporal proximity between my complaint and my discharge, that California public policy infers that they are breaking the law. Anyways, can't talk much more about that aspect. That place was worthless, and a waste of time. Like that ugly girl one bangs for a couple of weeks until she stopped returning phone calls and you both go your separate ways ! Heh.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Hate people like that. They exist everywhere. Driving trucks or sitting at a desk. Always one of them...

G.Anthony and Canned Spam Thank this.
  6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Sorry to hear about your experience Moloko. Did you find something better yet?

7. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Not sure if I found something better, but I have founds something similar. 2 years experience and a perfect driving record will get a lot of opportunities coming my way for sure. I was on the phone with one potential employer while another called asking me for an interview. I do want to be very careful however. I can't just employer hop, and I don't want to get stuck to an employer that is intolerable.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's a smart way to move forward. There's probably plenty of good jobs in your area most of us haven't heard about.What is your opinion of Lynden? I saw on the website they run some tankers, among other types of trucking.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The only real abusive trainer I have ever ran into was a guy in a rest area. Not my trainer, but a trainer for a company I won't reveal. I will not get into the details and I am deliberately changing some of the story to try to protect the victim. Simply put a trainer raped a trainee. I was parked next to them and I heard her scream and called 911. She was able to exit the tractor and the guy left to be arrested a while later.

10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I think any "trainer" that pushes their trainee right off the bat running team and milking them for miles is abusive.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The old saying, "He can give it, but he can't take it" may hold true for that trainer after he's found guilty and doing time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.