Posting For Good and Bad Brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by khenders, Oct 30, 2007.

1. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

Gotcha, thanks!

How would you go about getting loads from Landstar as one of those "other carriers" you mention in the last scenario? Same requirements? Trying to get around the "years of experience" thing if possible. They also state no more than so many accidents etc, but I wonder why they'd care if you had your own insurance anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    If you have your own operating authority, Landstar would broker loads to you just like they do to Joe Blow's Trucking and ABC transportation. Since you would be running under your own authority, on your own liability insurance, and be assuming all liabilities and culpibilities involved in said frieght movements, they wouldn't care if you were convicted three times for murder, was out on parole, had never driven a truck before, etc...

Getting your own authority takes some knowledge, some MONEY, and a lot of desire to succeed along with the work ethic to make it happen. You can't be successful without all of those ingredients in my opinion. The simple fact that you are asking elementary questions like you have thus far tells me that you are not even close to ready to make that step. I don't mean that unkindly as anyone is capable of gaining the required knowledge and you obviously want to learn. I just think you have a lot of the basics about the intricacies this industry to learn before you can even realistically entertain ideas of starting your own for-hire carrier.

4. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    The best post so far! Thank you! The work ethic thing is most important as far as I'm concerned. A person can not be lazy and have his own company. In this business its the key to failure.

I don't know that Phail would make it... I know he wants that purple hippo to be his #1 driver and that just won't work. LOL

Again, thanks.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  5. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

Thanks. You should count the number of questions I've asked and the number of threads I've read. The more I read, the more I know to ask. Things come together in whatever time it takes. I'm not in any hurry, but momentum is forward. Mainly I don't want to hurt anyone and I don't want to get hurt. The rest is just money and it shouldn't own anyone. Worst case I end up back where I am now as far as that's concerned.

As always, and with everyone who gives it, you are right and I am available for hire and training.

nofilter Thanks this.
  6. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

He who bets against me... well let's just say it's never worked out well...:biggrin_25525:

7. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    A purple hippo with a CDL? Does he wear shorts and floral shirts?

Eskimo6804 Thanks this.
  8. Dispatcher/VP baby!

Dispatcher/VP baby! Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Manassas, VA
    As far as good brokers go,

Landstar maybe the best

Allen Lund Company. Very Good

thats about it.

as for bad companies

CH RobuSum, or CH Robinson. Very very cheap freight

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    How is the OOIDA loadboard? Anyone use it?

In fact, is OOIDA membership any good aside from that?

10. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Go ahead and spend your money for a membership. I'm sure you would fit right in with the rest of the rank and file members there.

11. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Rank and file? Could you define that for me, 'cause I don't understand how the OOIDA and rank and file would even be in the same sentence. Haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet, I must be thinking with my union hat on... LOL :biggrin_25525:

nofilter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.