Power only own authority USA-Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by V c2c, Aug 25, 2016.

1. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Ok so just got my own authority and do not have a trailer yet. I can afford 1 but have not been able 2 commit 2 a reefer or flatbed 4 sure so decided 2 use my authority and be a independent contractor with USA. I know 4 conpany drivers they seem horrible but has anyone else done the venture I am about 2 try? No charge 4 trailers and 76% of line haul and 100% fsc. Thoughts???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Yes I will definitely be buying 1 soon. Just a short term option. Also need 2 get some age on my authority since is only a week old. A lot of good shippers and even brokers won't touch you for 30days, 3 mths, 6mths or even a year from date of authority. Didn't wanna buy a trailer and not get the good rate and 2500plus miles a week until that happens

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trailer Transit is power only and pays 50% of each trip in advance.

5. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
  6. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Ya I have looked into almost all the big company's and even 1 way trailers 4 doing load outs and all want around 6 months minimum with my own authority. So 4 now this is only option I have found unless someone can give me a good lead I haven't tried and got turned down on already. Thanks

7. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    JB hunt is a rip off ive looked at there rates. they want to pay you the same as a lease driver but they want you to have your own authority pull their trailers and have your own insurance plus you have to add trailer interchange to your insurance which makes your rate higher. and they take the same percentages you can get leasing to a company and not having the burden of the cost of having own authority.

noluck and true blue Thank this.
  8. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Yes agree. Most are that way. But unfortunately unless you have a really good shipper who will use you. Can't get any real could contracts or even broker deals until 6mths with own authority.

blade Thanks this.
  9. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Hello good sir. From what I have seen you are the guru of all good leads and advice on this site. So have signed a contract with USA truck as a I/C. Frey Miller also has same program with pay about the same but require escrow amounts a QC and also early termination. Just planning 2 go this route with my authority for 6 months until it has aged and can start then booking my own loads or find a good reliable dispatch service along with direct shippers. Thoughts or other suggestions?

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd just go ahead with USA Truck for now and start researching for a backup plan to use in the near future.

11. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I'd get set up with Hub Group too -- they've often got power-only loads for Amazon.

Not sure how Frey Miller can get away with early termination fees if you are an independent???

I would keep an eye on USA's financial situation before committing a lot of your time and money to them. They're heavily in debt, make almost no profit (they actually posted a loss for Q2), and have negative cash flow -- meaning that if their creditors decide to stop lending additional money, they could be in serious trouble. 1st one to be stiffed would be outside carriers...

Plus their CFO "resigned" recently with no explanation. More troubling is the fact he was paid severance -- suggesting he was really fired, but that USA wanted to put a spin on it for nervous shareholders.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    TallJoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.