Pricing a new glider at Fitz.; $10,000 more for 14L Det. and N14 Cummings ???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by IH Branded, Feb 2, 2016.

1. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    Everybody raves about the Detroit as money makers and power for a lighter weight block well then why is that engine the cheapest ?? My first and present truck is a Cat C-15 550 hp. 1850 ft. tq so I'm afraid I'd think the 12.7 is a pooch. Have some friends say the 12.7 deserves more respect and the Cat less. My Cat has been very reliable but putting in $4 fuel when I started out and getting 5.5 mpg on average is very vivid in my mind. Fuel wont' stay this cheap for long nor do I think it will go back to $4 either. Never has a decision been so wrenching for me. I usually know what to do and this time I don't. Could get a new truck for the price of a glider but hate all that emissions crap. The glider components were already worn out once !! I have 13 speed and am going to get it again. Would like an 18 but probably not worth the cost. I need someone to spec it for me. We pull 80,000 gross and empty back with in 200 mile radius and 80% of trips are in 100 mile radius. No flat land. Pulling my hair out. Think I'm going to wait 6 months as I think they will be hungrier by then.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I think if you do the big turbo and coated manifold with a flow through muffler and a Power Box should be more than enough power.

4. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    I wouldn't get in a hurry when spending that kind of money. I bought a used Columbia last year w/ 500 hp 12.7 det and 13 spd and parked the binder w/ 430 hp c13 and 10 spd. Going back to the paid for binder and selling the columbia. I didn't care for columbia cab.

I thought that you could get a single turbo Cat in a glider.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    cnsper Thanks this.
  6. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    You can't even compare a 12.7L Detroit to a C-15 Cat. Literally, that is like comparing a snail to a rabbit.

For example, my dad's heavy haul Western Star has a C-15 ACERT 550HP Caterpillar engine. The truck I drive has a 12.7L Series 60 Detroit Diesel 430HP. My Dad's truck will pull a MACHINE that weighs AS MUCH AS MY ENTIRE COMBINATION (truck, reefer and full load), which means his truck is grossing over 120,000lbs, me only at 80,000, JUST AS efficiently, if not better, than my Detroit will pull a loaded reefer.. So imagine throwing my truck behind his loaded lowboy. Yeah, probably wouldn't get past 7th gear lol.

Don't get me wrong, the Series 60 is a great, great engine. It's just not comparable IMHO to a 15L Caterpillar engine.

A Series 60 should be plenty enough for you to pull 80,000lbs, but I don't think it would pull 80,000lbs as efficiently as your Caterpillar, which means you might be better off just keeping your truck that you have now.

Plus, just for a little laugh.. the Series 60 didn't get it's famous "Detroit Leaker" nick name for fun.. they literally do leak, everything, everywhere. But are great, reliable engines that you should have great luck with if you were to get one.

IH Branded and Flipflops Thank this.
  7. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I just bought a Fitzgerald glider. Peterbilt 389 with a series 60 and a 13 speed. It's really long wheelbase because we have to overhang 7' in the front. The series 60 they use is a 1650ft lb motor and it will do 80k just fine and be really reliable. As far as leaks it's mainly the rear structure where they use gasket eliminator we see the issue on and that's after 500k usually. I have numerous series 60 now and they are for sure the most reliable and do best on fuel along with the most cost efficient parts. You will never out pull a big cat with it. You can pay 5k more and get an n14 525. Some glider companies are using the cats but the truck is far more exspensive than a Fitzgerald truck. I specced mine how I wanted it and paid 142k. It's for my flatbed division and I will probably never drive it.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  8. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Pay me now or pay later. Pay an extra 10k upfront but get it back in fuel savings. Supply and demand. In this case demand is the bigger factor. Many want a Detroit so people charge more for them. A wore out Detroit engine or core commands more money than I would think but they are popular. Nearly every one can fix a Detroit, parts are cheap, fuel mileage is good, power is good with a few modifications, lighter engine, strong engine brake. For most applications the Detroit is a good choice. For heavy haul I would probably buy the Cat.

RubyEagle, Terry270 and Dominick253 Thank this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Detroits had a leak reputation from the series 71, not series 60.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    While i understand comparing a detroit to a cat. I can't understand comparing a 430 hp motor to a 550 hp motor.

11. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Lack of experience or not thinking? You are right. Apples to oranges. Just reread original post. MT one way. A 6-71 would do the job. So few miles why be concerned with big horses. So few miles why worry about fuel mileage. Why bother to replace what you have? I've had good new trucks ('95,'97,'99) and now have old '93 & '95). You didn't say what year your present truck is but why not keep it and have all the advantages of owning what I assume is a good older payed for truck. Big assumption on my part.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.