prime lightweight tractors

Discussion in 'Prime' started by mjtags, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mjtags

mjtags Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    forked river,nj
    hey guys this is mike from nj was hoping to get some info.i was approved to start my training at prime and i just have to figure on a date to start but i just heard something the other day that might change my decision on going with prime.from what i heard is that all company drivers are put into the lightweight tractors its called something like eco49 they supposedly have no passenger seat and a very small sleeper area with basically no storage.i was hoping to find some prime drivers on here that drive one of thses trucks and they could post some pics of the cab and sleeper area i need to see one of these before i make my decision.i searched all over the web and couldnt come up with any pics..hoping someone could help with this thx guys be safe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Go look for a Prime truck at your nearest truckstop, there are plenty there and they are plainly marked, You do know what P.R.I.M.E. stands for? Please Remember It is My Equipment or P.lease R.emember I. am M.issouri E.ducated

slowpoke89 Thanks this.
  4. jayhawker_1012

jayhawker_1012 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Here you go. Sorry the previous post was of absolutely no help :biggrin_2556:

13916.jpg 14038.jpg 14039.jpg 14040.jpg 14042.jpg 14043.jpg 14044.jpg

5. MJensen

MJensen Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Medford OR
    /Are they still comfotable?

6. MJensen

Jan 27, 2012
    Medford OR
    I heard flatbed gets full sized trucks is that true? But I was wondering what about the reefer guys?

7. jayhawker_1012

Apr 17, 2012
    If you are going to drive company for Prime pretty much the entire fleet on the reefer side is lightweight. FB get the condo sleepers unless one is not available right at that time.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  8. MJensen

Jan 27, 2012
    Medford OR
    But are the lightweights comfortable?

ShinobiSharp Thanks this.
  9. jayhawker_1012

Apr 17, 2012
    Sorry only been in one never driven one. Here is some input from someone who has;
    I have driven one of the lightweight trucks until recently for Prime. They are ok for 1 person, you can have the passenger seat taken out (which does help "ALOT"). Not much storage room, just under the bunk and 3 small spaces above the bunk. I stand 6' 2" and was able to stand up inside just fine and had a couple of inches about my head. Also, get a chain storage box installed so that you can store your chains and a few other things to extend your storage space.

The bunk is just behind the driver/passenger seat, no room to put a refrigerator. Some of the guys purchase the 12v coleman coolers from Walmart and set it on the passenger side floor. They will provide a curtain (if you ask for it) to go around the windows to extend your "personal" space.

It is do-able if you can "make do" with little space.

warrior81 and <Archangel> Thank this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Get the passenger seat pulled... the detail shop is happy to install a fridge there for you. I understand a lot of guys will bungie a microwave on it. Also they'll install a wall-mount for a TV. APUs are installed on them these days as well. Outside of needing to be a little creative on storage, they don't look unconfortable to me.

The OP should think of it this way... all you have to do is spend one year driving it, and you have a FREE CDL. That's right! Normally a $4500 to $6500 value absolutely free! And you get paid for it. Since he lives in NJ, he can run NE regional and get a 5-cpm boost for driving a lightweight AND a 5-cpm boost for NE regional. In other words, after his first payscale raise he'll be making 44-cpm as a total rookie without considering fuel bonus.

If you can get a deal like this (or better) with no experience in the industry, make sure you let us know about it.

da1, warrior81, jayhawker_1012 and 6 others Thank this.
  11. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    I run a LW so I will give some input here. I stand 6'2", wt is 240. I jerked the passenger seat out and installed a 2.5 CF fridge from Walmart, cost was 98.00. I also installed next to it a 3 drawer storage cabinet to hold my clothes. My TV goes in the TV box and the microwave is strapped under that. All my food goes in the over the bunk cabinets/bins. Under the bunk I have tools, spare sleeping bag etc. Chains are there also even though I have a chain rack. Bunk is plenty wide enough for me. At the end of the bunk I have a small hanging bag for meds, odss and ends etc. Coffee Maker is velcro'ed to the top of the storage cabinet.
    I also have curtains that go around the front of the drivers compartment, vs just bunk curtains.
    Keep in mind I purposely picked a 2010 truck, which is different from the newer trucks, I think I have a little more room.

Sly48, <Archangel>, mjtags and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.