Prime losing contract

Discussion in 'Prime' started by postmandav, Jul 1, 2016.

1. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    It's like today. I needed fuel but I wasn't sure if the costs. I also needed to stop and park to make my load work. I stopped fueled up 50 gallons.

If you stop and top up EVERY time you could also fail miserably.

Fuel just for what you'll need. Don't over fuel.

bsmoove Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You will burn it eventually .....

4. SavvyRed

SavvyRed Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    You won't fail bevause you keep full. I keep full because I keep moving. It makes no sense to say you're losing money if you over fuel. Now you fueling and not knowing the price? Yeah. That could make you fail.
    If I can get a full tank at 1.67 or 1.90 I'm going to take the 1.67. Now, I always fuel the cheapest fuel price in the highest taxed state. Just got 288 dollars back on my IFTA as reimbursement.

5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

And, strategically plan that fueling along your route.

How far can I go. Maybe only need a partial to get to that cheaper fuel further along route.

Cheapest in country, load that puppy up.

I also look at the long term picture & savings. I don't live paycheck to paycheck & have to maximize this weeks check. Some have to, though. Different circumstances for different situations.

:biggrin_25525:

$lim, Chucktshoes and redoctober83 Thank this.
  6. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Loo
    Looking out for the company (prime) and
    Voluteering to work extra on holidays. Lol.

bsmoove Thanks this.
  7. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    The thing about volunteering to work holidays at prime is the pay you extra for doing it. If we look out for the company it means we care about the quality of service we offer so we can get better contracts and keep the ones we have.

If we all had the attitude of f the world I'm in it for myself, what do I get, it's all about me, you end up with companies like crengland, crst, and swift where you see raggedy equipment, drivers with bad hygiene (yes prime has some with bad hygiene as well, but not like this carries), crap pay, and crap benefits to the driver.

So yes, I to would look out for the company that pays me every week and if asked if I would volunteer and earn extra for doing it, I would probably say yes as well.

nofreetime and $lim Thank this.
  8. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

And, this bothers & affects YOU ..........how, exactly?

Ya feels better now, my boy.....? LOL

I never knew looking out for the company & myself was such a bad thing. Dang those instilled work ethics & dedication. I guess I need to crawl back into my retirement box & just wither & die, rather than enjoy what I've always wanted to do.

It's just terrible being an old fart & pulling 70,000+/yr first few years out. I really need to find something better, since I'm so horrible at this.

Oh, wait..........I did. LOL

:biggrin_25525:

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    It's called being a sucker.
    Nothing you do has any affect whatsoever come
    Time to bid on the contract.
    Some of you guys crack me up thinking you
    Actually mean something to these big companies.

If you don't believe me go into the office and tell them
    You want a penny a mile raise or your quitting.
    Then go clean out your truck.

10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Prime pays a $700 bonus to company guys who work the holidays and holds a drawing to win a weeks paid vacation. In 2014 I worked them, I got the $700 bonus and won the vaction which I sold back to the company for $500, and I was $1, 200 richer to celebrate XMAS a week late. I don't have kids so it made me happy. Freight was good then too I stayed busy.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  11. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I use the app to plan my fuel stops. Go to my prime→fuel and services→a map will come up and show fuel pricing everywhere and I plan accordingly. I'm with FMJ on this when its cheap I'll get every last drop I can in there. I don't just buy enough fuel for the trip I'm on, gonna buy it anyway so I buy it cheap as I can. I even watch oil prices on nasdaq so I know when the price will fluctuate. Sometimes prices can go up ten cents over night, easy to go and park for the night and figure on fueling 150 gals in the morning, but guess what you just lost $15 bucks. Every little bit counts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.