Prime purchases 900 Peterbilt 579 tractors

Discussion in 'Prime' started by BigSky, Nov 3, 2015.

1. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    How are those new peterbilts working out ?

39_a.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Now THAT's about our speed! LOL

4. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I don't have my CDL yet but I have driven extensively between Denver and the east coast. Our typical trip averaged 10-14 hours one way. These trips were generally driven through the night on Thursday and home on Sunday, to and from our children's sporting events and training opportunities. We were typically "on the road" 46 weeks a year and put over a million miles on our F250 crew cab powerstroke.

While there were times that it was "inconvenient" to have a truck SLOWLY pass a slower truck in the right lane, at no time did I ever feel like a truck in the right lane endangered my family on the road. I find it interesting that you would try and blame a truck operating within the legal parameters in the right (slow) lane for creating a safety hazard. The bottom line is every driver is responsible to operate their vehicle in a safe and responsible manner in all conditions and circumstances.

In my experience "backups" were much more frequently caused by cars that insisted on "driving" in the passing (left) lane. I've experienced a phenomenon in the east where the two left lanes are clogged with traffic while the right (slow) lane remained empty. So while slower moving traffic may impede your progress and be inconvenient I'll respectfully disagree that vehicles operating within the legal parameters create a safety hazard.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    michaelg, darthanubis, jomar68 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. TooSlow4Words

TooSlow4Words Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I blame Don Henley and the Eagles. It's the whole "Life in the fast lane" mentality. Nobody wants to think they drive slow. Thing is, it's not the fast lane, it's the passing lane. Pass and move right. Simple concept that seems to have been completely lost. So next time you see some toolbag driving in the passing lane, curse ole Don and the boys.

Brehon Thanks this.
  6. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Amen!

TooSlow4Words Thanks this.
  7. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

I've paid close attention to this over the years.

Over 90% of the truck drivers that get hung up behind another in right lane are guilty of not looking far enough ahead and anticipating what's ahead of them. Also, a major factor in all these huge pileups of trucks you see all the time (along with all those bumper riders that would follow the guy ahead of them over a cliff). This especially even more critical when traveling at break neck speeds. I really see very little anticipation of anything by way to many of us. Makes you wonder at times where the "professional" has gone in "professional driver"

Cannot tell you how many I regularly see that have all the opportunity in the world to get over & pass, but wait till last second and get trapped. See it all the time.

This comes from a guy that drives both fast & slow dependent on situation. When it's my money on the table & not a free spending company's, costs & efficiency are going to take precedence. It's the bottom line. Have run fast & have run slower. The bottom line #'s running both ways have proven to me slower is more profitable.

That said, there also has to be consideration on your part if you are running slower. I move over as far to right in my lane for EVERY truck that passes or overtakes me in lane beside me. I courtesy flash EVERY truck to indicate when clear to get back in lane ahead of me, especially when they have someone holding that lane dogging them down that refuses to get back to right when doing same. (Yeah, lot of trucks do that too.).

If a guy is trying to pass that has come up from behind seems to be struggling against a governer, I'll back off a it to let him get around. He did come up from behind, and is obviously cruising faster. So, no sense in tying up traffic with a marathon passing session.

In major city congested pack traffic, I usually bump it up a bit to stay with general traffic flow. It usually will not be that long to get to other side of town when things start to spread back out.

If running those two lane rural routes, I plan on having to pull over at times to let folks by if stacking up & they can't pass, if no passing lanes are present.

Hey, I've run fast (and sometime still have to). I seem to have no problem with any slow runners, as long as they are to right. Of all the things I have to look out for & deal with out here, pretty small potatoes to me. Guess I'm funny that way in that I look at it as just part of the job I was properly trained to do. Getting overly bent about small things leads to a miserable outlook & life. We are supposed to be professionals. If a time comes that you can't handle the hassles, problems & hazards we face......it's time to deflate those tires & egos and get off the road. It'll be a much safer place for us all.

To me, it would seem to be just common sense & courtesy. Unfortunately, those are two things that seem at times to be getting more & more uncommon. We're all in this together. Could never understand why everything has to be so divisive.

:biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    michaelg, darthanubis, Brehon and 5 others Thank this.
  8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Preach it brother, preach it! :biggrin_25514:

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. bad attitude 75

bad attitude 75 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Greenville sc
    i remember years ago having prime trucks blow by me!! what use to be a good company really went on a downward spiral. guess that is what happens when you grow too big too fast

10. Brehon

Brehon Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Did I misunderstand did you equate the quality of the company by how fast the trucks go??

Smh

11. bad attitude 75

bad attitude 75 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Greenville sc
    i don't agree with speeding. and i also don't agree that driving a governed truck is safe. sometimes you need the acceleration just to get away from a situation. governed trucks you are sitting duck

cnsper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.