Prime Tanker division

Discussion in 'Prime' started by bamamac, Mar 3, 2011.

1. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    Was curious to know if anyone has or has had any experience with Primes' Tanker division? I have heard the training is longer, and the recruiters don't seem to push it very much. Is the pay low, hometime worse than reefer or flatbed, miles low? Would like some info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExplorerInGA

ExplorerInGA Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I'd be tempted to know, too.

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    The pay's good as far as I know... they recently upped the company per-mile rate for tanker division. There's a lot of dead-head and sitting around, mostly involved with getting a tanker washout. You still have to do the usual driving training that Prime puts newbs through, but there is additional training on the equipment they have on the tanker-yanker-mobiles.

5. crazypops

crazypops Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2010
    detroit, mi
    You would do most of you training in the reefer division, then go out with a tanker trainer for your last 20,000 miles of training.

6. dodge24v

dodge24v Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    VA
    That's the same thing Prime is having me do. Just finished Day 2 of orientation here in Pittston Pa, starting off in the refer div to get some miles, then switching over to flatbed for the last part.

7. crazypops

crazypops Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2010
    detroit, mi
    The instructors are all in the reefer division because they want you to be able to concentrate on the things you will need to learn to be a good truck driver, so that you can have that solid base before getting into a specialty division.

8. emton

emton Medium Load Member

May 18, 2009
    Hobart, IN
    I know for sure that we have flatbed trainers too. Fellow PSD trained with one and decided he wanted to work for a living!

CoJakes Thanks this.
  9. Sheik_Yerbouti

Sheik_Yerbouti Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Fredonia, NY
    I've driven a Prime tanker for the last year. Drove reefer for them for two years before that. I made a bit more on the tanker side. Maybe 10%? Something like that. The only downsides to tanker I can think are having to climb up on the catwalk when it's really cold. This is mostly just annoying and not really that bad. The other is that you will go to Port Newark, NJ a lot. A LOT. Personally, I hope if/when an asteroid hits the earth that it will hit dead center on Port Newark. YMMV depending on your tolerance level for NJ.

Also, I understand that most of the tanker drivers are lease drivers. I know 3 or 4 who are company but I hear they are the exeption. I don't personally know.

10. chirp63

chirp63 Bobtail Member

Do you know if Prime runs tankers through WV much ?

11. Sheik_Yerbouti

Sheik_Yerbouti Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Fredonia, NY
    I personally drove through WV fairly regularly. The northern part more often than not.

chirp63 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.