Problem with my Cummins ISX

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Skyzzoix, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Skyzzoix

Skyzzoix Bobtail Member

May 29, 2015
    Hello everyone, I'm new here on forum and I need your help.
    I have a Cummins ISX that knock at 1450 -1500 rpm. At the last service, they have completely overhauled the engine, replaced one injector, replaced the camshaft on the valve train, clearance checked the timing gears (all within specs), new head. Still have the same exact noise as before and the men from service said they found no damage in pistons, pins, cannot figure it out.

Somebody told me to use a dish tool to cut out injectors,and if i need to isolate the cylinder that has the knock, it sounds like an injector causing the issue once I can isolate swap the suspected cut injector with another cylinder, all injectors should be changed at time of overhauls. Or I'll risk damage to the overhauls engine. I know that an injector only has a life span of 500,000 miles.

Do you think is too difficult? What you recomend me, to buy the service manual for my truck [TradeBit] and to save money by repairing it myself, or you recommend me to go on a proffesional service and to solve this problem.

Thank you for your attention!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    On my ISX my injectors lasted over 900,000 miles,,if you have a knock there is something else I think would be wrong ,,the shop that did your overhaul should stand behind their work,take it back and make them fix it,,if your injectors were OK before the over haul you did not need to replace them,,they can go bad in a 100,000 miles or last over a million.

If you go thru Utah on I-70 the best Cummings shop I have ever dealt with in in Aurora about a mile from Salina ut, It is called Mason Diesel service, very good labor rates as well as experts on Cummins and CAT engines,, their phone number is 435-529-7477

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Skyzzoix Thanks this.
  4. PunkSaiga12

PunkSaiga12 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    I thought my 07 Pete with 475 isx and 700,000 original miles had a real bad head clatter.. turned out the fan hub was just bad, replaced that and sounded healthy again

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.