Profit from a carpeted 48' van with gate?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Audiomaker, May 22, 2016.

1. Audiomaker

Audiomaker Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey all,

I've been on this board regularly for the last few weeks trying to figure out where I might fit in this business with the equipment I already own plus deciphering what sort of trailer to purchase to find steady (at will) work.
    Basically I've been looking at flatbeds, SD's, and specialty trailers.

In the meantime, while I figure this all out, I do already own a trailer which I haven't really asked about the potential of (because my own personal belongings are in it at this time).

The trailer is a former furniture moving trailer. It is 100% carpeted aside from etrack, and it has a lift gate.
    It is an older trailer, but stout. Everything works and it is clean (or I should say the carpet is clean).

Unless reasonably profitable, I would like to not destroy this trailer. In other words, I'd like to not turn the clean carpet into a mess by hauling truck axles in it.... you get it.

Using it as a moving van seems like the obvious answer, but I have 2 issues with that (maybe more)...
    First, I see two types of trucking businesses, the one's where you call, and the one's where you wait for a call.
    Obviously I could advertise as a moving van in the paper and such and *wait* for the phone to ring.
    However, I am running out of time living on savings and the concept of being able to choose from available loads appeals to me (ie...load boards).
    Simply waiting until someone needs to move may not rescue me in time.

The second issue is authority. I do not have authority yet as I haven't figured out if it's going to be required at first for me (also considering intermodal).
    I do understand however that as a moving truck, that I would need authority and a special one at that (household goods).
    Ultimately that is not the authority I was planning to go after.

This kind of leaves me in a spot where I want to work as an o/o, and I have a tractor and this trailer, but that isn't really the direction I was planning to head (unless carpeted vans and household goods authority are in high demand and steady).

I haven't read a ton about it, but it seems like the household good authority is very different and *separate" from other authorities, so I don't know if one can just add it or subtract it at will, or have both...etc.?

If there is a question in here, I guess it would be something like "what would you do?", or "what kind of load board loads wouldn't destroy my interior?", or "is it even worth it to add this capability to a new company that is ultimately going for specialty?, or "would it even be worth it to purchase household goods authority if your goal is to take loads from the boards or work intermodal?".

Ack! Sorry...
    I guess I'll just go back to "what would you do?"

Thanks Much!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    OK, so is this a drop frame van trailer ? You wouldn't be able to load from a dock since it's too low. 48' ? Kind of outdated.

Audiomaker Thanks this.
  4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    It is suitable for hauling bedbugs(household goods) and little else. Van loads are going to require 53' flat floor. You could lease your services and tractor/trailer to a local household agent, but your lack of experience in the area probably precludes that. Getting your own authority for any of this is a tall order for someone with years of experience in this business, something you don't have yet.
    The age of the tractor and trailer and your lack of experience are a problem if you try to lease to anyone.
    I cannot come up with a clear path with the info i have seen.

Lepton1 and Audiomaker Thank this.
  5. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Audio-welcome to the forums! I was a bed bugger for a couple years and did 6 months otr before moving to frieght. If u r interested in bed bugging u sure have a nice settup! U would also need furniture pads, bands, dollies and a walk board to get started. Moving is a totally different beast than trucking. As in most of ur time is spent loading or delivering not just driving. Ur best bet would be to lease on to a moving agency not advertise in the paper. That way u can use there authority. Work would not be slow this time of year as may-august is the busiest time of year for moves. I would call a moving agency and tell them ur set up and see what they got. United and north american agencies are tue best imo. Being a agent driver (having a trailer) u get a nice piece of that line haul. Having no household experience I would get a lumper with years of experience to ride with u and help in all loads/unloads. Make sure he can load a truck! It's not easy. Also something to consider-bedbuggers put significantly less miles on a truck than frieght haulers...and make more too

6. Audiomaker

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    Well at least I don't feel alone in that now :)

7. Audiomaker

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    Doesn't seem like much to add. I already own a forklift, several smaller trailers, and a roll back tow truck. There's not much in most houses (or machine shops) that I can't move.

The whole idea kinda falls short with my romantic "drive into the sunset in my big rig" fantasy though.

8. Lucy in the Sky

Dec 19, 2015
    U could always lease just the truck on to a company and eventually buy a trailer and get ur authority after money rolls in good. I am just very partial to bed bugging. For me, that is riding into the sunset. And that trailer sounds amazing!

Audiomaker Thanks this.
  9. Audiomaker

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    I was surprised that there wasn't a forum for it here... or for specialized for that matter :(

10. Lucy in the Sky

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes I noticed this as well when I went on the road. Hard to find any info on bed bugging online.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.