Proper stopping?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jltheisen86, Feb 11, 2016.

1. jltheisen86

jltheisen86 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Toledo, Oh
    Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion. i learned in school to properly stop my truck was to depress the clutch just enough to disengage the clutch while still in gear and brake to a stop sign or light. then when i came to a complete stop to fully depress the clutch and shift into my starting gear. when i first started driving 9 months ago i went on ride alongs with other drivers and they practiced this method as well. is this acceptable, or should i be doing it a different way? thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Pull an unbaffled tank and it'll learn ya pretty quick. That's not a bad way to start, it's the "by the book" way schools teach and how you get graded to get your license.

Not how I do it but to each his own.

4. jltheisen86

Feb 11, 2016
    Toledo, Oh
    well clearly i would be slowing down to about 15-20 mph before doing this. but i was told that this could cause unnecessary wear. which didn't make sense to me why would a school tell you to do something that would wear out their trucks.

5. Cottonmouth85

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Cuz they probably don't own 'em.

And I may catch flak for this but:

I trailer brake/ downshift from 13 to 11 to 10. Grab neutral and brake pedal. Once under 10mph knock it down to low range and grab 1st as I come to a stop.

It's not the 'right' way but it works for me.

akfisher and jltheisen86 Thank this.
  6. jltheisen86

Feb 11, 2016
    Toledo, Oh
    gotcha, i heard from someone that they sit at red lights out of gear, which seems kinda dumb to me because as soon as it turns green you have to depress the clutch to the floor wait for the drive line to stop and then shift into a starting gear. which if i did that with my truck i would be stopped at a green light for 5 seconds before getting a gear.

7. Cottonmouth85

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I can stop at a stop sign without using the clutch. It'll come with practice and time.

scottlav46 and jltheisen86 Thank this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    When I was learning to drive. It was to down shift to the gear you are to start out on BEFORE you got to the light. To only depress the clutch to disengage the engine with out stopping the transmission. To get it out of gear was just plain wrong as it takes 5 minutes just to bet it back in gear.

jltheisen86 Thanks this.
  9. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Whats this clutch thing?

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OMG too funny, worried about clutch wear?

Here is how I do it.

Downshift to slow the truck to the point that you can apply the brakes (you have to determine what that speed is for the conditions you are in), then apply the brakes while pushing in the clutch when the engine gets under 1000 rpm, once that happens, apply more brakes, and leave the stick alone. When you stop, don't hold your foot down (many people do and it jerks to a stop) but release it a very little bit to make a smooth stop and after you stop put it into your starting gear. If you can't get into gear, just let up on the clutch so slightly to move the gears in the tranny.

This is what I have taught others to do for the past 35 years in both trucks and cars. AND when ever I had to do road tests (both for my CDL and employment), it impressed the tester.

Chewy352 and jltheisen86 Thank this.
  11. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA

What? Can you 'splain this again?

Dumdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.