Prototype Test Driving Question...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by AcidTankerYanker, Feb 2, 2016.

1. AcidTankerYanker

AcidTankerYanker Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    OK so there I was nsnl poking around the job boards looking for Crude haul work in Northern CO...when all of a sudden my phone buzzes and a recruiter is calling me about a position driving prototype trucks hauling dummy loads...so I'm definitely interested and I go down to the office with my MVR and Med Card to see what's up. The guy running orientation tells me (the only one there for CDL work, another group was there for car testing) that I would be driving pre production equipment wired for diagnostics and performance data collection which is then packaged and return to the design team...they do some calculating and some tweaking (meanwhile I am driving another tester model) and then I drive the same truck and route again over and over until they see the diagnostic performance numbers they want. Running 2-3 models over the course of some months until they are satisfied or the contract ends...sounds OK (and kinda cool honestly) but they also told me that test driving is not subject to DOT HOS and I could run as many hours as I was willing to run to get the equipment through the required hours of testing...so I'm an oilfield trucker by trade and I'm used to running under oilfield exemption, and I'm not scared of OT, but that just sounds too far out...Not subject to any sort of HOS? Anybody heard of this or done anything similar? I am going to do this (too cool to pass up), I just want to keep my tail out of the fire while I do...

Hick Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry to say this but they are subject to dot regs and hos, there is no exemption.

Here is how it works. There is the air mile rule that you can work under as long as you are within that radius every day. And you are limited to that 11 hours of drive time but not the 14 hours of on duty/working time just like you were doing ltl or local delivery. On top of that, you have a limitation of work the previous day you can't work more than 14 hours. I did this work for a bit, been asked to return to it by a company who bought that company out and wonder if they can pay more than $12 an hour.

AcidTankerYanker Thanks this.
  4. High Desert Dweller

High Desert Dweller Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I did that for a while in the '90s. We were given a specific route with turnaround points that kept us within the 100 mile rule. 12 hours a day 5 days a week doing the same thing gets tedious. We did an engine exhaust brake test for Navistar, speed up to 70Mph let the engine brake slow you down to 60, Get as many brake cycles as possible on a 12 hour shift. Talk about going crazy...

5. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If.it's not a commercial motor vehicle moving freight for commerce they can get an exception. In 2005 I knew someone who did this. He had an exception letter in the truck. He didn't keep any logs and ran the same route every trip, L.A. to Denver. Worked 10 hours a day with no logs, just a spreadsheet on a laptop. If you're not moving freight for commerce and that is not the purpose of the truck, you can get an exemption. There are a lot of truck and trailer combos on the road for other purposes, like RVs for instance.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wish that were true, but here, where they do a lot of testing, with exceptions of cars, all vehicles have DOT numbers, IFTA if they are required, CDL drivers and considered commercial under the states laws. IF the truck is to be used as an RV, then it is registered as such but if an RV chassis is used for testing, it is a commercial vehicle. If it is setup for testing, then it is considered for commercial purposes and registered as such. Those having manufacturer's plates are considered strictly commercial and require a CDL to drive them.

7. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I wasn't talking about about licensing, I was talking about HOS.

8. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Ya know faa is dot regulated too and I can ,say for a fact, aircraft labeled test or experimental aircraft falls into non regulated aircraft..Prolly same thing there.

9. AcidTankerYanker

AcidTankerYanker Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    OK thanks for all the feed back. Sounds like there is precedence for this. Imna get as many hours as I can stand while the getting is free from HOS rules...

10. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    I'm just curious, but I saw this job on CL recently. Same thing?

www.automotivetestdrivers.com

If so, no white Volvo with IShift drivers need apply!

thejackal Thanks this.
  11. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Hahaha.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.