Q for the cruders about stand by

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by stungjoe, May 22, 2015.

1. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    I'm a company driver getting paid percentage and my truck is in the shop. They don't have another truck for me to drive so I'm on stand by. Nothing came up for today so I asked about getting paid. My supervisor said in the past the driver would get paid for the day. But now the MGR says "nothing" since I didn't haul any oil. What is your company's policy if you're in a similar situation?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Didn't work but you're expecting pay? That's a difficult one to justify for a great many outfits. We ask that if you're scheduled to work but for some reason are unable to, you remain available until the halfway point in the shift (noon/midnight) in the event that work comes available, a truck comes out of the shop, etc. This waiting can be done anywhere, we don't ask drivers to come in and hang out at the yard unpaid, but IF we call, we'd like a driver who was scheduled to work, to come in and work.

This is a sticky point in lots of places. I'd love to hear how other outfits handle this issue as well.

4. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    Ready, willing and able to work from 0500 till 1400(when they called me to say check in tomorrow) but their equipment was not available. It's not my fault they sent my truck to the dealership (where's it's still at going on a week). BTW, they agreed to pay me for 10 hours.

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    driver should be paid for any detention and breakdown.

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    when the market is good, and the companies are rolling in the money, yea they pay for standby, detention, demurge.... when the market crashes, those are among the first items no longer paid. 2 years ago, getting paid in your situation was a given, around here. Now, you want paid, you will come into the terminal, and clean, watch training videos,....

Glad you still got paid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.