Question on Flatbeds

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by KØBLR, May 1, 2016.

1. KØBLR

KØBLR Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hi there Everyone!

How are we all doing? Nice wheather we're having here in Minnesota finally. Those of you that pull flatbeds I have a couple of newbie questions I'd like to ask I hope you don't mind.

1.) What makes pulling a flatbed or stepdeck easier. Is the visibilty any better?

2.) How do you sling the tie downs over the load?

3.) I see sometimes some flatbed drivers put toy trucks on their trailers. Why? How do you secure them?

4.) How do you handle the weight issue being the wheels can't be moved forward?

What advice do you have for a new Class A person who might be looking at getting with a trucking company pulling flatbeds?

Take care

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    The toy trucks on the flatbeds shows me the driver has a sense of humor, the ones I see are secured by a strap over the toy. The weight issue, a spread axle flat is allowed 40,000 lbs on the rear trailer axles, that gives some leeway to load the weight and be off by a little on either end and still be legal to scale the load without repositioning it. I think the driver just throws the strap over the trailer from one side to the other, keeping the metal hook on the side opposite the winch that tightens the strap. The flatbed drivers enjoy challenges of securing and delivering unusual freight, every load can be a challenge to win. I do not pull a flatbed, but watch them every trip across the country.

Diesel Dave and KØBLR Thank this.
  4. KØBLR

KØBLR Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    perhaps maybe this something I may not want to do. :(

5. KØBLR

KØBLR Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    I like boring its what works for me. Do you think that its still worth looking into mnmover? I don't know if you seen my other posts about the difficulty I'm having with find a Class A job.

6. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    Reply in Blue

KØBLR Thanks this.
  7. KØBLR

KØBLR Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    what is DS to PS?

8. KØBLR

KØBLR Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    Nevermind I just figured it out.........Driver side to Passenger side. Boy I can be dumb sometimes.

9. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    driver side to passenger side, i pull flatbeds and love it, dont see my doing anything else. its an interesting job, keeps you thinking

Alberta trucker Thanks this.
  10. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    no such thing as a dumb question

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Listen observe and learn .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.