questions about lease purchase

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by dizz-e1, May 26, 2016.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    So, take the average of $1.09 & $1.20 a mile which is $1.14 a mile. Let's say you run 10k miles a month.

That's $11,400 gross monthly revenue...

Now deduct ALL the expenses related to operating that truck including paying yourself a salary, including income taxes & health insurance, how much do you figure you will have leftover each month to eventually put down on "something better"?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    About the same as he would as a company driver ... but if he's smart he's already putting that money down on something better. It's called the payment on the truck he's driving.

FLCRACKER Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Here's a simplified & modified spreadsheet I created. It's not exhaustive, however, it at least provides a basic overview of what someone can expect when entering into the lease op or owner op world.

I worked in the office of a company that had at 50 lease operators running under their authority. I was shocked when I started asking some of them if they knew what their operational costs actually were and their response was "not really". OperationsCosts.JPG

5. Jazzy J

Jazzy J Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    How does USA pay? By mile or percentage. .....

6. Jazzy J

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    I lease at Henderson(caseyville, IL) pulling Prime trailers. 75% of load. I only run solo loads. Only time go negative is 4 or 5 days at home.
    I have pulled $1.85 loads and a $0.80 mile load (florida sucks).
    $750 week payment and about $300 week other fixed costs.

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    By sliding a sex toy up your tail pipe

8. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I see this as a problem ... when you build your model, a decent lease will only result in a 50% cut in cash flow after 1 week off the road and break even after 2 weeks off the road. You shouldn't go into negative cash flow until you've been off the road for more than 2 weeks.

FLCRACKER Thanks this.
  9. Jazzy J

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    When you sit home for 4 or 5 days you are going to have a negative week if you lease or owner operator.
    Just simple math.
    Now if you are company you will not be in hole but you will have very small paycheck.

10. tristan2009

tristan2009 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2016
    IM TIRED O THE CO DRIVER LIFE AND NOT MAKING MONEY!! I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO LEASE A TRUCK OR BE AN O/O JUST NOT SURE WHICH CO TO START WITH BECAUSE, EVERYTIME I SPEAK TO A RECRUITER I TELL THEM TO STOP LIEING AND I HANI HAVE 4 YEARS OF EX AND TIRED OF THE G UP ONE THEM. EVERY RECRUITER TALKS TO ME LIKE I AM NEW TO THIS INDUSTRY AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOIN, SO I CAME HERE TO HOPEFULLY GET INSIGHT FROM MY FELLOW DRIVERS HERE.

11. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    :rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.