Race car hauler

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Terrylnicholson51, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Terrylnicholson51

Terrylnicholson51 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Let me start by saying I know nothing about big trucks except how to drive them. I am looking for a truck to haul a 40 ft. race car trailer (about 14,000 lb) I really think I want a single axle (for turning radius and 4 less tires to buy)sleeper. My main question is what would be the most reliable since I know all of them will pull what I have. I really only want to spend around 15000. What year model and how many miles should I look for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Trying to find a single axle sleeper is a bit of a rarity these days. Go to truckpaper.com and put in those spec's and you will see what I mean. Find the most common drivetrain among the trucks you see listed. For that kind of money it is going to be 10 years old or more, probably a good thing to stick with pre 2007( NO DPF OR DEF Systems) or even earlier, pre 2004( no EGR). I would consider going to racingjunk.com, you may find exactly what you are looking for already set up for your application.
    I pull a 34' race car trailer with the tractor you see in the picture. Works fine.

mckaigtransport Thanks this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    These days it simply comes down to which make of truck you like there getting more and more economical these days but you want the one that has the most pulling power that gives you the best fuel economy and the brand that gives you the best service if you do encounter any mechanical issues..

5. tr_farmer

tr_farmer Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    IL, USA
  6. tr_farmer

tr_farmer Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    IL, USA
    This only has a 250 hp cat but it seems to do what you are asking of a truck. Early 90s gm with a manual 6 speed. It has hydraulic brakes. Air brakes or an engine brake would be a nice plus. I think your price would buy a pretty nice truck if you look hard.

7. tr_farmer

tr_farmer Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    IL, USA
    If you are not running in the mountains it probably won't take much of an engine to make you happy. Ours is geared a little low and goes best down the interstate at ~65mph? Older to mid/late 90s simple engines that don't have to much smoke and little to no leaks would be what I would look for.

8. Terrylnicholson51

Jan 19, 2017
    I have looked at the toter homes but they are pretty much out of my price range and we really killed our dually so I'm kinda looking at the class 8's. Im afraid the top kicks wouldn't have enough power. I found a few of the single axles but most are cat mbn's and Mercedes. The internet does have very good reviews of these motors that's why I came here to see what people thought

9. tr_farmer

tr_farmer Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    IL, USA
    I am used to gross'n 55,000lbs with a top kick and a 366 gas motor. Farm 10-wheelers. So in comparison the 250hp cat in a top kick seems fine for pulling a 14,000lb trailer. But to someone els it would probably seem like a dog. How long of trips do you make? What terrain? Do you like the go fast lane? Don't forget to consider AC. We have a RV unit on top of the sleeper box and run a generator on the trailer. How many guys will ride down the road in it?

10. Terrylnicholson51

Jan 19, 2017
    We are based out of the Memphis area and race anywhere from 2 to 10 hour from here, Kansas to North Carolina, Iowa to Texas so there are some mountains involved. I normally run about 5 - 9 miles over the speed limit. Any thoughts on an 04 MBN Cat

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    What I would recommend is a truck like mine.
    You can see it in my avatar.
    It's a 2007 freightliner Columbia single axel.
    It has a 14.0 liter Detroit 515 hp. And a ten speed trans.
    It actually was set up to pull a race car trailer before I got it.
    I pull a 6 car trailer with it and usally gross around 52,000#.
    It has all the power you could want and I can get near 9 mpg out of it.
    Originally my truck was a long term Penske lease.
    If you contact Penske or Ryder you can find this exact set up for sale.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.