Raider Express Ft. Worth

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by sarendstrucker, Sep 21, 2016.

RANDOM QUESTION. Do you smoke in your truck?

1. Yes

26.3%
  2. No

73.7%
  1. sarendstrucker

sarendstrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    Well I have been on and off this site many times for questions. I'm amazed at the wealth of information I've already recieved off of here. Thanks to all of the supporting members.

I'll start out by giving a brief history of myself. I've been an aspiring driver since I was 15. I got a class B cdl about 3 years ago and have been working local with dump trucks etc. since then. I have an excellent safety record and never a ticket to my name since I got my first license as a teen. My problem is that I'm sick of the local hourly work. I want to go OTR and run some miles. That and my current employer enstated a new anti smoking policy that prevents me from smoking cigarettes in the trucks. So with that said, if anyone can give me feedback on their companies smoking policy that would be great.

So, I'm looking for a company to train me for my class A cdl and give me some helpful knowledge to go down the road. I've already tested 100% on written and got my permit. My first consideration was Prime and it's not out of the question.

I found Raider Express out of Ft. Worth Texas. They caught my attention so I put in an application. Two days later I get a call back from a nice lady who got some info and said she would be in contact via email.

First email

Our training is not only free, we do not contract. We also pay you a total of $1000.00 during the training. The pay scale is below.

The training is a four week course in Ft. Worth, M-F 7am – 5:30 pm. You are getting paid while you are going through the course. Week 1 is unpaid, Week 2 = $250, Week 3 = $350, Week 4 =$400.

After the four week course, the student will be placed in a truck with a trainer for 28 total (not consecutive) days of paid training at .10 a mile. This is paid whether the student or trainer is driving. You average between 4000-5000 miles a week ($400.00 - $500.00/week).

After the 28 days of training, the student will then be placed into their own company truck at .30 per mile. There are three raises in the first year. At the end of year one your pay can get up to .38 per mile. You are on the road for 10-14 days, then back home for 2-3 days.

Our drivers average 3000 miles/week. After your first load on your own you will receive a $500.00 bonus. After 90 days with the company you will receive a $1000.00 bonus.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Now I responded and was given the opportunity to come the following Monday. I said I needed to consider my options and would have to give my employer a couple weeks notice anyways.

My next email to her was basically asking what the terms are and how it can't be free. This is the response I got...

I’m not sure what else to tell you other than we really are just a good company. It is FREE you do not pay anything back. The motel is the only expense and you reimburse it after the training once you are hired on at $25.00/week out of your pay. We are a mom and pop company looking to hire good people. To get accepted into our training you have to have great employment history which we hope shows a level of commitment due to everything being free. It’s no ########! You have it in writing if you need it.

So I'm just wondering what your take on this is? Is it too good to be true? I hear they run steady freight circles. They don't have apu's from what I understand and have anti idling restrictions. My next question to her was going to be about that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You live in Oregon?
    What she told you is about average for trucking company schools. Nothing is absolutely free because trucking companies want a return on their investment in you. They want you to have some skin in the game also.
    How old are you?

4. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    I don't live in Oregon any more. I did years ago when I started up on this forum. I live in East Texas around Tyler. I've had my cdl B since I was 22. I just turned 25 and got my cdl A permit.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's why I asked, didn't think Raider Express hired in Oregon.
    Check these also with school in Texas:
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - school in Lancaster,TX
    KLLM - school in Lancaster,TX
    Western Dairy Transport - school in Abernathy,TX
    MCT Transportation - uses C-1 Truck Driver Training School in DFW.
    Millis Transfer - school in Burleson,TX & runs eastern states & Texas
    Mesilla Valley Transportation - dry van & school in Laredo,TX

Shop around for the best deal that fits your wants and needs.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    I have contacted FFE which apparently is KLLM as well. They told me straight out that you sign a year contract.

Millis was another option considered but they apparently don't run west of the Mississippi River. I don't like that or that they are known to use driver cameras.

I'll look into some of the others you mentioned. Thanks

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Nothing wrong with a contract; companies want some return on their investment in the drivers. Millions of unemployed Americans would love to have a contract for a job.

Jim Palmer Trucking has about the best pay for new drivers; $.40 cpm + .05 cpm fuel bonus. Of course you must go through their training first then get your assigned truck to make that.

RedRover Thanks this.
  8. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    I'm not going to say I won't go with a contract. I'm looking around for sure. Prime is still in the back of my mind...

9. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    I don't find much on the Mesilla Valley training costs. Very limited info.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jim Palmer Trucking pulls Prime trailers and hauls Prime freight. Big difference is Jim Palmer uses full size trucks and Prime uses ECO trucks which are lightweight and small inside. Have to take the passenger seat out to have enough storage space for your stuff. Check Jim Palmer truck pictures on their website. They run all over and lots of west coast freight.

sarendstrucker Thanks this.
  11. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX

Thank you, I'm going to look into that for sure. Do you know if any of these companies don't allow smoking?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.