Rate my diet please.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by ethos, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    So for the past month I have been eating better. Honestly, it's not even that hard to do and I feel this is a lifestyle change for me. I know many on here are very good amatuer nutritionist and I would like some feedback. So far I have lost 20 pounds. I try to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories but sometimes only get 1000, I realize this low number is unhealthy. About me, 32, male and OTR. I only drink water and unsweetened tea. I completely cut sodas out, wasn't even hard. So here goes.

I run nights. First meal. Usually I either eat a package of tuna and light mayo or I get a 6 inch sub from subway. Tuna, sweet onion teriyaki or chicken chipolte melt. Heavy on veggies and light on sauce, wheat bread of course.

Then I put my snacks in a Walmart bag and place it on the passenger seat. Granola bars, cliff bars, apple sauce, larabars, peanuts, oven baked chips. I eat every 2 hours. My last food is usually a yogurt container, one of the small ones that is. I also occasionally get one of those fruit cups from Loves when they look decent.

Am I getting enough nutrition? I am not hungry all the time, I feel fine.

Also, although I know this is mainly about diet. I walk 30 minutes 4 days a week and I have those big rubber band things for exercise in the truck. I do those for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I also have a series of hand strengtheners that I use while driving. I'm up to the 150 pound one!

Tonitos, Radman and runningman0661 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Sounds good! Your counting calories and eating right plus exercise which is 2nd most important. Might be a lil low on calories. I'm 37 and for my body to survive without digging into my muscle, just breathing I need 2k cal. I feel if your not hungry and you can maintain that then do it. Might want to hit 2500-3000 cal once a week though. It will stop you from hitting the wall of losing weight and you'll be less irritable.

ethos Thanks this.
  4. Tonitos

Tonitos Light Load Member

May 17, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Two years ago I started training to become a boxer and never looked back since.

Stay away from bleached grains like white rice and white bread, get your protein, you need your vitamins!!!! Preferably organic food based multivitamins, minerals, detox your colon (my truck driving instructor told us he recommends enemas but that's up to you), stay away from sugar (I use raw honey), etc. I eat three medium sized meals a day with light snacking in between like Greek yogurt or fruit.

Now your routine is very good; especially with the water, tuna and swearing off soda it's basic yet very effective. Excellent choices in activities and understanding how important cardio is.

And you know about yourself more than we do so is there any habits that you worry about? Always glad to help and take advice if you have any.

5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    It just seems like there is such a fine balance between metabolism and how many calories you eat. I want my metabolism high but I also don't want to eat too many calories. Are there any foods or supplements that get your metabolism going that actually work?

6. Tonitos

May 17, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes.

I countered this by eating a tablespoon of olive oil every morning; our bodies needs fat so you give it good fat.

7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Like literally pouring olive oil in a spoon and downing it?

8. Tonitos

May 17, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yup.

Sounds crazy, I know but look it up. Make sure it's extra virgin, though.

9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I don't know man, that pretty hardcore, lol!

Tonitos Thanks this.
  10. Tonitos

May 17, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Lmao I understand completely; I was skeptical also.

What changed my mind is when I compared it to the kinds of bad fat we put in our bodies every day just to maintain our calories. I chose one over the other.

ethos Thanks this.
  11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    You said you started training. Were you out of shape then? What's the differences between now and then?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.