Rates

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Sammybp, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Sammybp

Sammybp Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    How do my fellow freight brokers come up with a rate to quote thier customer to play it safe that they will be able to cover the load.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KreshoUSA

KreshoUSA Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2013
    By lowering the rates brokers are just cutting the branch that are sitting on. You can't have good business if you don't have good carriers, with ####ty rates you can get ####ty carrier that is the fact, rates should not be lower then $2 per mile for dry vans 3 for flatbeds and 4 for reefers. period!
    Insurance want you to pay $12000 for one truck, IRS want you to pay $550 URS and state want you to pay property tax approximately for new truck $2000, registration $1300 and there is IFTA every quarter $250, Mechanich want you to pay them for every hour $140 plus tax and there is no diagnostic check less then $250. Drivers, you cant find good driver below .45 cent per mile and yes DOT want you to have perfect nice truck with no any visible problem then you have drug test every second month and at the end of the uear you have to pay %30 tax to big brother. Go and figure how you will run your trucking business with rates 1.30 per mile!

4. Reliable Koop

Reliable Koop Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Northern California
    RateMate through Truckstop.com, but pay extra for Paid Rates as Posted Rates alone does not really help. DAT has similar servic e.

5. astanbrough

astanbrough Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Do research. Figure out how much it will cost you to get the loads moved, and then add whatever you need to stay afloat. Industry standards are great for reference, but you have to price yourself according to what you can offer.

6. Sammybp

Jun 21, 2015
    The only way to find out how much it's gonna cost me to move it, is if I post it as a dummy load and then try to come up with a good reason why I cant give them the load.

TruckerNerd Thanks this.
  7. astanbrough

Sep 19, 2014
    You need to find reliable drivers that can haul for you repeatedly and then get their input. You won't get anywhere fast just going 100% off load boards. Plus you won't ever really know the person hauling your frieght. Load boards should be a last resort when you've exhausted all your known options first.

8. Sammybp

Jun 21, 2015
    I totaly disagree with you i don't wanna work with only 20 carriers I perfer working with 600,000 off load boards

9. astanbrough

Sep 19, 2014
    To each his own, I suppose. Your level of service will never be higher than the industry average if you arent selective though. Sounds like you already know your game plan so good luck to you.

Pacific Islander Thanks this.
  10. Sammybp

Jun 21, 2015
    how do brokers that dont work with load boards succeed better??

11. astanbrough

Sep 19, 2014
    Load boards have their uses, thats how you will find your carrier base to begin. But once you find a solid driver who performs well and fits into your budget, ask him if he is available the next time you have that lane before you go to load boards. If you build a good relationship with them you will work less in the future to cover loads and can negotiate better prices because that carrier knows he can continually get loads from you.

40 ft trailing Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.