Rebidding the barn

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by rocket237, Nov 25, 2015.

1. rocket237

rocket237 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    lowly ct.
    As a bottom feeder when it comes too seniority, I never got above the bottom third of the pecking order. That being said my strategy has always been , Pick out the worst bids and prey you have more guys below than crappy bids.......Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I worked for YRC Logistics (non-union) I refused to ever bid on anything. I just took the leftovers and runs for those on vacation, sick, etc. and was always the top earner of around 125 drivers, year after year. The other drivers didn't like it, especially the ones with 15 or 20 years seniority over me. I laughed about it. They tried to pressure me into bidding, but I refused.

They would tell me, "Don't you want the security of knowing how much you'll make every week?" I would answer "I already know I'll make more than anyone else at this terminal."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Big Don, westcoast, tucker and 2 others Thank this.
  4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I tell the junior guys, bid what you want. You may not get it, but that can change. I was in the same spot for 7 years, and last year in the span of six weeks, three guys above me were fired. It changed everything. The one guy who actually bid what he wanted got a cherry bid, while guys above him didn't. Bid what you want.

5. westcoast

westcoast Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2010
    los angeles, ca
    That kool Chinatown. Most people do ordinary thing, would have an ordinary result. Thinking out the box.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. rocket237

rocket237 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    lowly ct.
    I have 2 employees underneath me , so if all the guaranteed work bids are taken. that leaves pretty much fill in work.....pretty steady, but not nearly as profitable as some of the bids available. I do have my eye on extra board road....or dock with a 1 am start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.