rebuild gone wrong??

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by dyall, Apr 3, 2015.

1. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    So much talk not real help from people in this thread.first step take your truck out of that shop,second step hire a lawyer,you dont have to pay him anything till you get your truck fixed,the only problem is this matters take a while to get sorted out.ecm should record everything and if you said you didnt abuse that engine than you have nothing to worry about.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Not sure about the block problem but a warped head is common after a head gasket failure. Trust me I warped two on that M11 I mentioned. Really not clear why that shop wouldn't tell you that.

4. MZdanowicz

MZdanowicz Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2013
    peabody, ma
    Did they call you to yhe shop to show you the problems?? Mike

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I think your money would be well spent on getting a lawyer involved.
    Ultimately, the data in the computer is not reliable.
    A bad sensor, wire or connection could deliver a false reading and this would be easy to testify to in a civil suit against Detroit.

areelius Thanks this.
  6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    I'm not a Detroit guy but I'm sure there is not much difference in ECM between makers.
    Ask those morons to print out ECM data with 3223 rpm and expanded engine abuse history file. All parameters of engine at this moment - oil pressure, coolant temperature, road speed, engine speed, gear, boost pressure etc. Probably it was only faulty or POOR WORKMANSHIP installed crankshaft position sensor ?
    If you look all parameters there is no way vehicle can have road speed 65mph at 32230 rpm and boost pressure 10psi and oil pressure and on and on. Take a second opinion guy to truck.

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I'm not sure about your ecm but on my 2013 DD15 it records the date and time that the high rpm and speed occurred. Mine recorded a speed about that high about a month before I bought it. The guy that shuttled the truck from the factory in Portland to my dealer in Saskatoon is the one that ran mine that high, although the rpm was not crazy like yours.
    So it is possible that it did happen, but it may have been a long time ago and they are using it as an excuse to void any warranty work. Get a printout to confirm the date.

Mr.X Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
  9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I had 05 Century with 14L engine before. I bought it from Freightliner. The mileage was 340k m, former J.B. Hunt fleet truck. One beautiful day when I was heading west on I-40 in Arizona mm 150(downgrade) heard big boom and the engine shut down. White smoke came from exhaust pipes. I stopped and checked the engine. The coolant was in oil pan and in exhaust system. Piece off exhaust valve was found in intake manifold. Towed to Los Angeles(paid about $2k). The mileage was 440k that time and after talking to freightliners service department I understood that they are not going to fix it under warranty. However major components of engine were under warranty. The local shop opened the engine. One of exhaust valves was broken, Cylinder head had a big hole due to piston+valve to head hit. The block was damaged too. But I was lucky it was fixable. The damaged area was right there where cylinders o-rings are siting (I think there is a hole and its called wet hole). Spent $11k . I found worn cylinder head at junkyard. Bought it and took it to Detroit diesel for exchange purchase. I think you have same problem that I had before. About overspeed I can say that DDEC V is inaccurate JUNK. I never overspeed the engine but after hooking up the computer and looking the reports I found overspeed records many times. And records were fantastic high like yours..

10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Get a copy of the DDEC reports. Look for anything on there that says "error". I've seen them glitch and show ridiculous speeds, MPG, Etc. I seen one that showed over 1000 MPG with 127 MPH once and there were at lease 5 things that said error. There are a lot of calculated numbers on that report, any errors make the whole thing unreliable.

Make sure you get a copy of the whole report, which includes detail of the last 3 faults. This should show that engine overspeed and other important details like MPH at that time.

I had Detroit deny a claim once that showed over 4000 RPM. When I called them and told them that during that fault vehicle speed was zero MPH and it had a few errors, they covered it.

KB3MMX and Smellfunny Thank this.
  11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    BTW after running DDR - Reports and after downloading the report file from ECM the internal memory of ECM clears (DDEC V). If you run DDR once again it will show you "No Data" . The report file is easy editable file...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.