Refresher

Discussion in 'Prime' started by n3ss, Oct 13, 2015.

1. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Does anyone know what options one might have if coming into Prime after not driving for a while? Do they have some kind of refresher program for those who have driving experience, but haven't drove within the past 12 months? Or maybe I can take a refresher course locally and minimize my time team team training...

I trained with/drove for prime in 2014. At the end of 2014 I got a job offer at home and took that. Now I'm realizing that the office life isn't what it's chalked up to be. Maybe red tape and nepotism aren't all that fun afterall.

Thinking about trucking again, and given how well I was treated at Prime, they're an obvious first choice if I end up returning.

I'd direct this question at recruiting, but they don't have a live chat or email option, and I don't really want them calling me 3-6 months before I'm making a decision to go back to trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Man, been over a year already? My, how time flies! Thought it was shorter than that.

You left on good terms & good record. Assuming your license is still valid, would think you would only need a cursory run with someone just to shake the rust off (if that). I'd call your old dispatcher & run it by him, if you had a good thing going.

Dude.......new it wouldn't take long for you get back out from how you went out. I could just tell from how you were when you left. Just thought it would have been sooner than that.

Afterthought sent. See your PM's.

Peace Brother.

michaelg, Chucktshoes and n3ss Thank this.
  4. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Not quite a year yet - in December it'll be a year. I might have been rounding up. I expect to have to prove my self, as long as i'm given a day or so in a truck to get a feel for shifting again (air shifting in a ford focus just *doesn't* cut it) I think I"ll be okay.

At any rate, I want to make it a year with my current job - if nothing else, it's because it's not *that* bad, and because I appreciate the opportunity I was given and want to give more than enough notice. Plus, I need to get back in shape before I start flatbedding again. Flatbed didn't seem like that much work until I stopped doing it. I definitely had more spring in my step last year...

I've been thinking about going back for the last 6 months though - office job vs trucking, at least trucking I get some adventure while sitting for 10-12 hours. I think if I had taken more time off out of the truck, I wouldn't have gotten so stir crazy towards the end of my year at Prime... I think taking more time off (at home or someplace where I can at least get away from the truck for a few days) would have helped a lot.

Thanks!

darthanubis Thanks this.
  5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Nepotism at the office
    Favoritism from dispatch.
    Pick your poison.

Stay at the 9-5

6. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Nepotism at office.....well don't know if he qualifies there.

Favoritism from dispatch....... positively he makes the grade there.

I'm speaking from knowing situation first hand.

How 'bout you...................?

:biggrin_25523:

7. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Is there a difference?

At least when dispatch played favorites I spent my days somewhere interesting. Right now I just go 'home' to a crappy apartment in a crappy neighborhood til my next shift.

But hey - maybe i'm trying to convince everyone else that trucking is the way to go as much as I am myself.

edit - super important question: did prime ever got he driver facing camera route? That's like the one thing that would hold me back.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  8. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    I'm in SpriMo this week and we talked about that. They piloted it on 75 trucks and came to the decision that it was actually more of a liability than anything else. No current plans to put them in any trucks.

n3ss, michaelg, darthanubis and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.