Regarding Medical

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by terryg247, Feb 1, 2015.

1. kendt

kendt Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Awesome congrats. Monday will be 4wks for me so I will be going to my mpp,s this week. Hopefully they will get it moving.Every time im out with my dog I see the trucks from the school out with students. It drives me nuts all this waiting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flyguy35

flyguy35 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Fingers crossed that you hear back soon. Now that I have the medical, I am going to try and get Second Career Funding. I figure, if the government is giving out money, why shouldn't I see if I can get some as well. If not, I will take out a line of credit to pay for it. Also, some companies will pay you back for your training if you stay with them for a certain period of time.

4. kendt

kendt Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    If you were laid off you will qualify for funding.If you quit or got fired you won,t. They will make you do some work before giving it but its not a huge deal.Best of luck with the training.

5. kendt

kendt Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Woohoo I just found out my ,medical was approved. Now I just have to submit my application for funding and I will be on my way. Watch out the roads may never be safe again...

6. flyguy35

Apr 3, 2015
    Congrats!!! Just so you know, you do not get anything in the mail that lets you know that you have passed your medical. I was expecting something and when I did not get it, I spent 45 minutes on the phone waiting to get that answer.

I am hoping to get my funding approved so that I can start training June 22. I have already started sending out applications asking if they would consider me for an interview or hire me pending a road test, based on the information that I send to them.

I sent the following:

- Resume
    - Driver Abstract
    - Police Record Check
    - Confirmation Letter of Acceptance for Training
    - Copy of Confirmation That I Have Applied For My FAST Card

7. kendt

kendt Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Yes the girl at the MPP office told me it just shows up in the computer. Thanks for that though. It seems kinda dumb that they just leave you hanging and dont send notice. What course are you taking , just strictly az? The one im taking has az as well as a bit of dump truck and also H.E. basics as well. They also have the skid school at the end which is more just a sendoff after completing the course. Isnt actually part of the program.The cost is 10,000.00 which is the max you can get toward tuition. As long as they are paying i may as well get the most out of it. My apmnt with my case worker is this wed and then hopefully only a couple weeks until I start.

8. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    There is an automated number you can call in Ontario that will tell you the status of your medical. Apparently mine was mailed out a month ago and still had not arrived. I did pass and now have to figure out funding as I currently work a crappy full time job so do not qualify for the most popular options

9. kendt

kendt Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Well hopefully you can get it sorted out soon. I was told that they dont send anything in the mail,in fact I just found out me and my case worker have to set up a conference call with the MTO so that she can verify my medical is good. Otherwise I cant submit my app for funding. A bit retarded if you ask me but whatever floats their boat.

10. flyguy35

Apr 3, 2015
    I gave up on the Second Career funding route. To hit the points needed to get the funding, I would have to be out of work until mid September before I qualify and then it is not a grauntee. So rather than wait, I took out a line of credit. I also found out you cannot double dip, i.e. get Second Career Fund and also get the apprentice $2000 grant. So, the way I look at, I will be work by August, work 2 months plus the $2000 grant and I will have the loan paid off. Also, did you know that the Second Career Funding is taxable? I figured out that on the $7500 I would have to pay income tax of $1468.

11. kendt

kendt Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Yes I knew it was taxable but my income for the yr is only whatever I get from them plus anything I make afterwards when i'm working so it wont be enough to concern me. They are willing to pay ten grand plus living expenses so its well worth it to me. I havent even looked at the other grant since i,m not doing any sort of apprenticeship.Any time your dealing with government there is always bs to contend with so Nothing i,ve been through to this point surprises me.My case worker feels I have a strong case for the course I want which is basically a double course. I just need to get the medical verification out of the way to get it things moving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.