Regional vs OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FLYMIKEXL, Jul 29, 2016.

1. FLYMIKEXL

FLYMIKEXL Medium Load Member

So I have a question. I two buddies who have CDLs one drives OTR and the other drives regional so they were talking pay and the One who drives OTR only makes like a $100 more than the guy who drives regional. Now there could be other factors company pay and deductions but is there really a big gap in pay for OTR drivers versus Regional drivers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    That's a great question.

4. FLYMIKEXL

FLYMIKEXL Medium Load Member

It's really interesting... But adding it up $100 a week 4 times a month times 12 is close to 5 grand a year so that is a nice chunk of change....

5. Skinny P

Skinny P Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Actually, you should look at how many miles each turned and how much home time each took. I know a regional driver that gets home every weekend, but only turns 2000-2500 miles a week. Yet I know a regional guy who stays out 10-14 days and is home for 2. He turns closer to 3000 miles a week. I know OTR guys who are on dedicated fleets that turn 2000 miles a week, and I know OTR guys who turn 3000-3200 miles a week. So, it basically boils down to how much you make a mile. Because in each of the above scenarios the guys made different RPM so their checks look a whole lot different. The 3000 mile OTR guy works for Swift make 38 cpm and makes $1140, while the 2000 mile guy works for some small firm and gets 55 cpm and makes about $1100. The difference is only $40 but the lifestyle of the 2000 mile guy is way better (he has more drop and hooks).

johnwayne187 and FLYMIKEXL Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.