Research vs. Reality

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by gr8yghost, May 16, 2015.

1. gr8yghost

gr8yghost Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I'm looking at doing hotshot on my own,and what I'm finding are several catch 22's. IE. You have to have your mc# before you can get on load boards , but you need to see what type of loads are available in the areas you plan to operate to realisticly figure whether it's worth it or not. Same thing with what trailer to buy, IE if there are plenty of shorter loads available in my area it would be cheaper to go with the shorter trailer starting out, but not knowing what loads are available, I can't answer that. Knocking on doors sounds good, but will they talk to someone who is not ready to work today (no authority ). Any advice from some of the old hands and maybe a few who have recently been thru this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    It's been that way in trucking since day one, and I agree 100% it makes figuring things out for someone trying to get started in this business very difficult. Most people trying to get started with no prior experience are forced to rely on others to share some of that information. The problem is, that not everyone you ask will shoot straight with you.

As far as trailers, in my opinion you need a minimum of 40' of deck space. It's better to have, and not use the extra deck space, than it is to need it, and not have it. When you start looking for a trailer, think versatility. You want a trailer that's going to allow you to load, and haul a lot of different types of stuff.

Knocking on doors for work, for a one horse owner operator it rarely works out. Lets say you land a company willing to use you. Are you gonna be able to wait around for them to offer you a load? Probably not. And chances are when you're out there hauling for someone else, that's when they'll call you. If you say sorry I'm currently out of town and can't help, are they gonna bother calling you back? Probably not. And lets say they can keep you busy with outbound loads, what will you do for inbound loads to continue servicing your account? You will need load boards to have any chance of being profitable, Running one way empty just doesn't work. More importantly you'll need to know how to use a load board properly. Most load boards today have someone that'll explain how to make the most of their website.

4. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    And while trailer shopping are you aware of length and Bridge laws? Very important.

If your truck has any type of truck bed on it while it's hooked to a trailer it cannot exceed 65' (feet) in total length. A truck with a bed on it pulling a trailer is called a Truck Trailer combination and falls under state and federal length law for such.

With a Tractor Trailer combination you can be longer. A truck with no bed, factory, flat, utility, western hauler style, or otherwise is considered a Tractor. This type of set up (a tractor trailer) can exceed the 65'.

What's Bridge law? That's the measurement from the center of your goose neck coupler/ball, or fifth wheel pin, to the center of the rear axle on the trailer. This measurement cannot exceed 40' (feet) in many states.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Barbee's Girl Thanks this.
  5. gr8yghost

gr8yghost Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you, I appreciate the info

6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.