Rest breaks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rugerfan77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Rugerfan77

Rugerfan77 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Im a student driver. Besides the "30" min break is there any laws governing how often a driver can take a break? Im with a mega company. As you can imagine it can be like pulling teeth to take a break. me and trainer are OTR..State laws apply to breaks? Federal laws? No protection at all and just be glad for the 30?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    It could be a gallon jug.. Pee when you want :cool:

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  4. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    I break when I want to or when I need to. Simple as that.

I pad my eta with enough time for these things.

5. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Well you CAN take a break as often as you like.
    By law only that '30' and '10 hour' break are required.

flood Thanks this.
  6. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    it is a pretty good idea, to not continually drive for the full 11 hours, with out a break. take your 30 minute break and log it, then take another break or breaks along your route. if kept under 15 minutes, you just do not have to log that.

if you need to "squirt the dirt", then do so, and be on your way.

beware that if you are running late, you should have previously allowed extra traveling time.

7. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    The last thing that an OTR driver needs is more mandated rest periods. This is not your typical job and standardized schedules will never work. Most days you will have plenty of time to stop when you need to, some days you won't. You are still new and the HOS and time management aspects of the job can be overwhelming at first, but you will soon find your rhythem and work out the schedule that fits your needs. This job still has more flexibility than almost any other job out there. Most of us who have been doing this for awhile could never go back to punching a time clock. Best of luck in your new career.

8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sitting for long periods of time is not healthy. You should try to stop every 2hrs to get out and walk around to get the blood flowing.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What do you mean your carrier "makes it hard" to take a break? How many do you need? How many do you want? How long does a stop need to be to satisfy you?

You know you're not running a tour bus with senior citizens on board don't you? Moving freight is difficult when your truck is not moving.

10. Kalin72

Kalin72 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    When I started driving few month ago, team, OTR, me and my partner stopped when each of us needed. Some days more frequently, some days only stops were for fueling/changing who drives. It depends of your needs, this is not a job with very strict timing, I mean not to the minute or to the second :) Just make sure you will arrive to the destination on time, and then adjust the stops.

11. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    Once you get on your own and start seeing your appointment times and how long it takes to make them on time you can break wherever and whenever you want. So long as you make your appointments on time. If you develope a pattern of being late you are going to have problems. Right now with your trainer try to suck it up and just kiss up to him so he can pass you and you move on with your life. Dont make waves with him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.