restoring pete 389 headlights

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by dustinbrock, Jul 3, 2015.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Seems alot of guys asking about the crap headlights and how to fix them. most say buy new because you can't clean the inside..... well I didn't feel like spending a grand quite yet so instead I spent $30 and a few hours and got mine looking a million times better. keep in mind that on mine I could have gotten them perfect but I rushed as I made the mistake of having my wife with me who very quickly became bored and annoying.

I have a sander and buffer but this can be done by hand, some parts need to be.

when you take apart the headlights, the lense is easy to take off with a flat head screwdriver and a utility knife to cut the goop holding it on. from there I sanded both sides with 320 grit, 500, 800, 1000 wet dry and the a 1500 wet sand. I then polished it with maguires headlight restore. I used a black gasket seal to put the lense back on.

the problem with these seems to be the big hole on the inside of the hood where the wires run through, it isn't closed to the elements so I bought a can of spray foam and filled it up.

popped in a retrofitsource.com 50w morimoto hid kit in low beam and a putco led high beam... #### can I see!!!!

just thought I would pass this info on. instead of a grand I spent next to nothing but a little time.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chainslingr

chainslingr Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2015
    That's one hell of a difference!

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Looks pretty good. If you didn't use any type of UV block, don't be surprised if you're doing it again in a few months. A lot depends on the plastic. Some will turn yellow after polishing in a matter of 3 months and others will go a couple years. But you still have $970 to work with.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  5. bowtielml

bowtielml Bobtail Member

May 10, 2014
    hey dustinbrook was wondering if i could get more info on the hid lights kit type etc.pt #. and did you put the ballests inside the pod or ? and you also did hibeams hid just more info so i can do the mod hassel free. I was thinking if i could modify it so when i put the hibeams on the lows are on as well like my gmc pu its awesome lighting tks.

6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    www.deepspacelighting.com

he makes a plug and play hid replacement. takes out the projector and puts in a bixenon one so it acts as a high and low beam via a shutter. it also keeps the factory high beam working so you can have a halogen or led bulb in it.

the bixenon hid and a putco led high beam bulb and you'll never see better. that's what I have in my volvo but the pete kit offers a better projector.

otherwise out of all the hid kits I found and tried www.theretrofitsource.com morimoto is hands down the absolute best plug and play kit out there. get the harness with it and 4 resistors (incase you need them to draw more amps)

3 year warranty on 50 watt kit and 5 on 35 watt I think. I had to use it on a bulb and boy was it easy.

my low beams do stay on when I'm on high beam. yours don't?

at first I mounted the ballasts on the inside of the hood and just fed the wires through but after opening the headlight assembly up I found a perfect spot inside the assembly. you'll see it the second you remove the front bezel.

7. bowtielml

bowtielml Bobtail Member

May 10, 2014
    ok ill go with 50 watt so you only run hid on the low beams and for some reason all 4 lamps do not come on with hi beam and do you have the pt# for the morimoto our bulb is h11 i believe. ive done a few over the years but never had any big rigs with the right headlights just put these on a month ago and man big diff over stock 379 lamps cant wait to do this mod and those other ones are a little pricy im sure this way will be great

8. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    if your low beams turn off when you switch to high beam you can buy a splitter harness from retrofit source to make the stay on. there is a h11a and h11b lit depending if your projector shutter is on the top or bottom of the projector. call them to verify as they know. I can't remember the one I bought.

I run led high beams as hid take too long to fire up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.