Returning from disability(ssdi) able to?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Falcon86a, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Falcon86a

Falcon86a Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    So, I got a social security hearing coming up. I only plan on being on it for a year. Its for a mental disorder.
    Will this hurt my chances of returning to the industry afterwards? Has anybody came across this situation before or had it themselves?
    Thank you, Falcon86a

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    It won't help.

You may have to get a doc to sign off that you are good to go, especially if you have to use maintenance drugs. I know where I work even if you are taking an antidepressant you have to get a doc to sign off that you are safe.

The other way it will make life hard is you have to give 10 years of employment history (including gaps in employment) when you apply for a job, so this subject will come up every time you get a new driving job (at least until you've been at it for 11 years). It's not uncommon for guys to change carriers every couple of years so this will be a pain point for a while. Keeping track of any documentation of your disability would be important. You may have to provide a couple of references that will vouch that you were on disability (as opposed to say, being in jail or working at a job that you're trying to hide from them).

Definitely would want to think ahead about how you'll spin this in an interview. Anyplace you want to work for is going to want to be sure that you're good to go before they hand you the keys to a couple hundred thousand dollars of equipment and cargo and turn you loose to potentially rack up millions of dollars in liabilities.

Falcon86a Thanks this.
  4. Falcon86a

Dec 28, 2015
    Thanks for the reply

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Not being rude, being honest. If you were the guy doing the hiring what would be your reaction to somebody saying they wanted a job, but haven't worked in a year because they had to go out on disability for a mental disorder? Hopefully it's nothing serious but if your saying only a year, is SSI really your only choice at this point? Not gonna be an easy one to explain later.

Falcon86a Thanks this.
  6. Falcon86a

Dec 28, 2015
    Thanks, Ive decided I'm not gonna go to the hearing. Not worth it Thanks for replies guys. Appreciate it

7. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    You'll obviously make a lot more working than the $900 or whatever they pay a month for disability. Have you had any problems with the DOT physical because of the mental issues?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.