RF Power Indicator Question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Rich3, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Rich3

Rich3 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2015
    I bought a cheap new Uniden PRO505XL a couple days ago. It's nothing fancy, it has a volume knob, a squelch knob, and a small little screen that shows RF Power. I ran some quality wire from the radio straight to the battery. It's mounted on the passenger side bottom of the dash. I have a used K-30 magnetic antenna that somebody cut the wrong tip off of to tune it.

I tested my SWR and Watts with my meter, and I have pretty close to 1:1 on channel 1. Channel 40 I have almost 2. On channel 19 I have pretty close to 1.1:1.

I noticed with the key off, the RF Power meter on the radio shows no bars. If i turn the key on, I get 1 bar. Turn the blower motor on, and it has 1 or 2. It seems like the more accessories I turn on, the more the meter increases and the more likely it is for static to break through where I have the squelch at. I was wondering what could cause this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    It is most likely just electrical interference from your power wire you could try a noise filter in the power wire may help some or you could try running a new ground straight to the frame somewhere

4. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Run the wires straight to the batteries if you want 'clean' power. The power ports will be full of interface. Just make sure to fuse it at the battery unless you want to test that fire extinguisher.

5. kc0iv

kc0iv Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Parkville, Mo
    Notice He Said - "I ran some quality wire from the radio straight to the battery."

6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Yeah, I was pretty tired and i missed that. My bad. Try + to the battery and - to a clean chassis ground then I suppose. On mine I also removed a screw from the body of the radio and ran a ground wire.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.