Road or City

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by Csten, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Csten

Csten Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Been a dock worker at freight for almost three years now, and I'm moving up. I have the option of choosing city or road. Which one is the best?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    How much does each pay? How many miles/hours per week for each?

You need to figure out which pays you the most for the time you put in. Do they pay by the hour, by the mile, by the stop? Do you get OT? How much physical labor is involved in each?

There are many factors to consider and we don't have enough info to make recommendations one way or the other.

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Typically road drivers work nights and city drivers work days.

Usually road drivers make a bit more money, and have little to no actual labor other than driving.
    City drivers unload their own freight, have anywhere from 5-20 stops a day, and hustle.

Due to the nature of the job city drivers require a lot more skill in finding unknown destinations with crappy directions and also lots of tight backs to customers not necessarily designed for big trucks. This is something you should be wary of as a new driver but I wouldn't let it scare you off completely - it'll just be a lot different learning curve and you'll struggle more in the beginning.

Whichever route you choose you'll have room to go up with Fedex.

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    You can't go wrong in either one. City is P&D and Road is Linehaul.

The question I would ask is if the payrate that you accumulated in the three years you worked on the docks carrys over to the driving position, meaning will you start off at three year rate, or at the beginning. If you worked at UPS Freight for example, you would start off at three year rate if you moved up from the docks to a driving position.

6. DrummingTrucker

DrummingTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Ok first, if you go to city or road you will be bottom of seniority board. If it were me I'd go with city better hours, and more steady work. You go to road and expect to sit at home on the extra board because that's where you're gonna be for a lonnngggg time. You might get 2 to 3 days a week if you're lucky. Because the top drivers dont care about if you sit at home or not, they're gonna keep their bid runs and work every week. Second, the comment about you not having much physical labor on a road run is wrong. If you by chance luck up on extra board to cover a day run you will be fine, but little to no luck on that. So, you would be covering a night run which means you're working dock for 2 to 3 hours then driving back to your domicile location. So if you're not a fan of the night, you won't like it. Fedex freight would not be my first choice to run linehaul. Odfl would be my first.

7. Number 9 Road

Number 9 Road Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Road for the money...City if you wanna have a life.

8. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    well, considering i do not like city, not now, not ever, i chose road.

X-Country Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Reading this makes me glad I work for an outfit where the city guys make more than the road guys.:)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.