Roadmasters - Salt Lake City Location

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ChuckyBoy, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ChuckyBoy

ChuckyBoy Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2014
    N. Calif - Central Valley
    Hello all,

I'm considering a career change, and am looking to go into the trucking industry. I live in N. Calif - Central Valley area, and have been researching trucking schools. 1 school that I have been researching is ROADMASTERS. They have a school located in Fontana, CA (SoCal), and I figured this isn't that far away, would need to just stay in a hotel down there while attending School. So I decided to contact them and see what they have to offer as far as training. I guess because they are in many states, they want you to first go through there admissions rep who is located in the Florida Corporate office. Ok, no problem, except that because they are on the east coast, and I'm on the west coast it was a little hard making contact, mainly due to my work schedule. Well, rep emails me, tells me to call here today, even though she's off, to get the process started. After speaking to her, she throws an option at me that honestly I wasn't thinking about but in my opinion does make sense.

She knows I live in Northern California, and I was acquiring about the Fontana location, but then she says that attending their Salt Lake City location might be a better location for me. She goes on to tell me her reasoning for this option. She saysthat because California is so backlogged on CMV testing appts. (6 -7 weeks), that once I done with the 4 week course, I would have to return home until the test date appt, and with having to wait that 2 - 3 weeks, I could possibility forget stuff. I didn't ask about maybe doing a 1 day refresher before the test but that may be an option. This is what she suggested: Attend the SLC location for 3 weeks, this would be only 3 weeks because I would have to obtain medical card(already have), and Calif state CMV learners permit, then the 3 weeks in SLC will be field training, and then at the end of the
    3rd week I would test out for my Class A license, and my test scores would be submitted to the CA DMV, and they would issue me my license. She also stated that the SLC location tuition fee is less than the Fontana location.

So here's where I'm asking for some advise, feedback, and info:

1. Has anyone on this site attended the SLC location for Roadmasters, regardless of your location, and what was your experience, and opinion on this location. I have reviewed the threads on Roadmasters on the forum here but many are for other locations, the ones that I saw for the SLC location seem to be good.

2. My real concern is this "Submitting of test scores to the CA DMV" to obtain my class A license. Am I misunderstanding this process. I know there is the process of transferring of license from state to state, but do all states do this, especially here in Calif. I read that some states will require written test and/or as well as a test drive. To me this defeats the point of going out of state. If anyone has been in this same situation, can you please help me understand. I did do some goggle searches on this topic but to be honest, I really couldn't find a direct answer.

Again, thank you for reading and any input would be apprieciated. I apologize if this is a little long, not new to site, have been lurking & learning for awhile, but recently just submitted my 1st post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Stay away from Company sponsored schools totally so you have a lot more options

lots of character Thanks this.
  4. ChuckyBoy

ChuckyBoy Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2014
    N. Calif - Central Valley
    I thought Roadmasters was a private school, separate from any carrier? I know they have a relationship with Werner, but your NOT obligated to sign with them once school is done.

5. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I tried paying cash for roadmaster. The cash discount they tell you about only applies if you go work for Werner. Otherwise tuition is $7,000.
    I left and went to another school and ended up getting a lot better training.

6. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    I paid cash for the central refigrrated school in fontana, they have/had instructors licensed by the state so no going to the dmv for skills test, it was done in their yard lol. Pretty much got my class A in about 4 days.

It was $3,000 I could have probably found a cheaper school. And obviously I don't think 4 days is nearly enough time for most people including myself but it was what it was

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.