rough times

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by truckin19, Nov 13, 2015.

1. truckin19

truckin19 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hey drivers. New here, still pretty green driver too.

Got a bit of a dilemma , maybe ya can help.

So I'm new driver, got my A-z in June. I love it, I'm currently international long haul, from NW Ontario. And its awsome. Cant complain with what I do.

However, my dilemma is my time off.. I mean it's killing me. Having 36-48 hours off at most. ####, 16 of those is spent sleeping, and 4 more atleast is preparing for my next run. My list of #### to do is through the roof and getting worse. My woman is good and is adjusting probably better tHan I am, guess that's why I stuck with her for 5 years and counting.

Im getting this feeling of being trapped, being a new driver AND under 25 im kind of a hard guy to hire. I want to look els where, but I'm really unsure. Btw, the money is ok, not good enough to put my tail between my legs and shut up/ keep driving .. ( 2200 roughly before tax )

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckin19

truckin19 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Might be a note worthy point. There is no room for growth wwith this company, what I make now I'll make for as long as I'm here. ( small wage increase every few months maybe with inflation. )

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Under 25 should be working local IMHO, dont waste your fun years OTR

5. truckin19

truckin19 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I got friends and family in the Bush operations, I wouldn't mind it. But again, I'm a hard Guy to hire. My record is clean, 2 warnings that's all.

And like I said, this otr stuff I absolutely love. For the time being that is. I can see how this career path isn't for everyone. I am defiantly gifted in that sense.

After some more reading on here. Mright be worth a mention, I am paid all unload/load tines, wait Times, layover, fuel ,pre/post trips. No touch freight.
    .40/.42 mile Canada/US tandems

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  6. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    At this point your probably in as good a place as any with your experience. Tough it out get some experience. At the beginning of 2017 when the price of oil turns around come out to Alberta and make 120000 a year.

7. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    May be a stupid question but 2200 a week, two weeks? Where about in Ontario, northern ontario is pretty #### big lol

Macneil Thanks this.
  8. kfzr2

kfzr2 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Ive only been driving 3 and a half years, im 23 and been married for those 3 and a half years as well, but in my experience, home time and money is important when your young. I worked for gordon food service in saskatchewan and it was one of the best jobs ive had. Paid really well and home daily and it keeps you in shape.(gfs in new brunswick is a total different story). I lucked out in the oilfield later and still have a job but if i got laid off, id be back at gfs.

My advice is maybe look them up in your area if your looking for hard work, good money, and home time.

9. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.