Ruan Tanker Joliet Illinois

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by nmbeagle30, Jul 19, 2016.

1. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    The majority of the hours were just trying to get the load out of the plant. We were a private company and hauled our own products. The drivers were treated well, the plant operators and warehousemen werent, so there was a ton of turnover, which meant alot overwieght loads that had to be made legal. We also hauled our 0wn Chemicals in dryvans and flatbeds, so the loads were always not secured properly and the placards were usuallt wrong. Then you always had to hunt down hoses or clean dirty ones out and take those.

Coming back, you would have break your sets up, fuel, then go talk to dispatcher and go over the next run to make aure there were no surprises,,,,,which there always was.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlccaa

jlccaa Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago
    The problem with Joliet is that dispatch doesn't know what's going on, and the new terminal manager is trying to run the terminal like it's a normal terminal and not Hazmat. Most of us that trained guys for them have told them we won't train anymore because they're taking guys that we say aren't ready to be on their own and just cutting them loose when the terminal manager feels they should be because they need loads covered. It's a bad situation and it's not worth the money to me anymore. I'm taking a local job with a pay cut so I'll be home nightly again. Anything g you guus want to know feel free to ask.

nmbeagle30 Thanks this.
  4. nmbeagle30

nmbeagle30 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2015
    so it sounds like you are not home nightly at this point? That was one of the things that was attractive to me. What does a typical day actually look like? How often are you home? What is the actual pay you end up with? Billboards say "up to" 85,000. Terminal manager says you can expect 72000- 79000. Spotter at terminal said 90,000. Just trying to separate reality from fantasy here. I already have a hazmat job being home daily that gets between 60,000 - 70,000. Don't want to make a move into something that cannot live up to that.

5. jlccaa

jlccaa Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago
    I'm home 2-3 nights a week then home Friday night and leave out Sunday afternoon usually. Im leaving about noon Tomorrow for a two stop load, Austin, MN and Le Mars Ia. Some days you'll run 500-600 miles and be home that night, but you'll use most of your 14 then be home for 10 hours and roll again. It's not a difficult job, but for some reason there are alot of people who will come in, train for a week or two then decide they don't want to do it. We never Backhaul, as soon as your empty you head back to Joliet. I'm on pace for about 85k this year gross, so the money is there to be made especially when they're short of drivers. I've had weeks where I've had 3500 miles and weeks where I've had 2200. We have 18 trucks and I think 5 are empty now. Part of the problem with 80k plus is that it throws you into another tax bracket.

nmbeagle30 Thanks this.
  6. nmbeagle30

Aug 2, 2015
    Just out of curiosity, are you using your per diem exemption. 63 dollars a day away from home is not taxable. May help with the tax issue.
    A few more questions if that is alright. Are you typically air unloading or pump? What is normal amount of stops on a run? What outside of under training is your reason for leaving? How long does a typical unload take from arrival to departure?

7. jlccaa

jlccaa Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago
    I'm not, even though I should itemize I never have. And yeah any questions are fine. It's good to know all you can before making a Decision.

All the trucks have a PTO and compressor for air unload. We have a couple stops that have a pump to assist. Miller in Milwaukee and Nestle in Anderson, in.

Normal stops just depends on how dispatch builds the runs. We do alot where the whole trailer, 3-4 compartments all go to one stop. Usually there are 2-3 stops though.

A big reason for me is I just want to be home every night and have a normal schedule again. We're paid well and they leave us alone for the most part, but im ok with the pay cut to get the mon-fri 10 hrs a day and home nightly thing back.

Typically it's about 30-45 min a compartment. Different chemicals unload at dictates though. Acid is about 10 lbs a gallon and like water and Caustic is about 12.5 lbs a gallon and thick so the same amount of Caustic takes longer. Then we have some chemicals that have foaming agents in them which have to have less pressure or they'll foam out of the tank. But 30-45 min a compartment average is a pretty good baseline.

nmbeagle30 Thanks this.
  8. nmbeagle30

Aug 2, 2015
    So your doing a fairly regular rotation of accounts?

9. nmbeagle30

Aug 2, 2015
    I was told 3-4 weeks training, which I thought was a lot considering I am not new to tanker work. Multi compartment and chem suit is a change though.

10. jlccaa

jlccaa Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago
    Yeah, we do alot of the same places but you'll rotate through them. I've probably got 125 locations saved in my GPS .

3-4 weeks is about normal, most of it is policies and the scanner system Ecolab uses. It's not bad if you've hauled chemicals though, kind of like a refresher course. The chemical suit isn't bad until it's a 90 degree day.

nmbeagle30 Thanks this.
  11. cityboy21

cityboy21 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2011
    NW Indiana
    are you guy's using the red suits or the green rubber suits? the green rubber suit is brutal all the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.