RV Transport Equipment ??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Beatriz Andrade, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Elliott42

Elliott42 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Just out of curiosity what is average take home pay a month after truck payment insurance and fuel cost I'm thinking about getting into this line of work I'm getting ready to get a 1ton dually anyway and was thinking about putting it to work on the weekends and keeping my current job for now and if I feel like I can do it full time I'll quit then any kind of input would be nice what brand of truck is better I'm looking at 06-10 year range don't want to get to much of a truck payment to start with and any companies that might be hiring I would really appreciate it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IndianaRVhauler

IndianaRVhauler Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I was just turned away from 2 company's today because I had no fifth wheel

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. IndianaRVhauler

Nov 18, 2016
    Help. I need a 20k short bed slider fifth wheel hitch

5. IndianaRVhauler

Nov 18, 2016
    Any help please. Have very little to get started...I need a 20k short bed slider fifth wheel hitch...I'm in indiana

6. Dodge277

Dodge277 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
    If you dont have the funds to buy a new one ,(as finding used one is hit or miss)
    I'd try other firms, many want you to have a 5th wheel hitch, but not all of them .

Some guys run bumper pull exclusively , and there are transport companies that hire them .

Overall i feel you'd want one to increase the load options.

Your other option is to
    Lease On motorized/driveway .

If you don't have a vehicle to tow behind or hitch for that ,
    you can take runs to areas that you can utilize public transport back to indiana . and from the dealer to public transportation , you could uber. or taxi.

I've not done it, just know guys that do.

7. Dodge277

Dodge277 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
    Your take home will vary wildly depending on a lot of variables and how meager/careful you choose to be.

If you do it part time on weekends it would be difficult as most dealerships won't be open to accept delivery .

Also technically doing tow away your are supposed to log your work week ,wherever that may be ,so you'd not have many drive hours left.

When starting I did this part time.but my regular job I was off during week days, and flexible hours and schedule , so it allowed me to deliver rv units when dealert acceot deliveries. I took 500 mile avg runs ,so would gross about 500 to 600 a week.
    You clear roughly half, in simplest terms, so maybe an extra 1k a month after fuel etc.
    My truck was already paid for.

On paper it doesn't sound too good, nor too bad.
    But that isn't factoring in maintenance and replacement cost on the depreciating vehicle .
    If you don't account for that you are really just paying yourself out of the amount you invested in the truck initially .

My advice is to make sure that the job pays the truck, completely in every factor and that what it can pay you the driver from what's left, fits your budget.
    If you fail to treat it like a stand alone business and really factor all expenses closely, you'll spend more than you imagine and will be make nothing worthy your time per hour.

I'd say an average *net is roughly 3k a month?. but again that varies widely and that's just trip expenses factored like fuel etc.

That's not taking into account tires, brakes, oil changes, truck depreciation, ins, etc. 13.75 % ssi etc you need to account for if doing it full time with no other sours of income .

8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    7.3 is a good idea but that 4R100 slushbox is not. I'd look for a 6mt or a 6.0 truck that has been bulletproofed. The Torqshift automatics in the 6.0 and newer are light years better. Plus the 6.0's have the more modern front suspension which rides much better.

9. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    If he's driving for Roehl he's not really getting $.44 cpm. None of the those mega carriers pay on the hub anymore and haven't for quite some time. They pay PC miler miles which usually gyps you out of 2-5% of the miles you actually turned to make the load happen. You're basically paid a flat rate for the trip and not by the mile.

10. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I wonder how the economics looks for those guys who do drive away without a tow vehicle. There would be a definite savings there not putting gas or maintenance into a tow vehicle and I assume you wouldn't be spending as much on hotels if you just got on a plane a flew back, although short notice plane tickets are pricey you can be anywhere in the country in 1 business day on a flight and back in line for your next job.

11. Youtopia

Youtopia Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm trying to get into RV transport, lots of good info here. I'm 27 years old, I already have a truck ('14 Ram 2500) that I'm making payments on regardless of whether I haul with it or not. But I own an ecommerce business that can be run from the road, so I will be doing this for supplemental income, not depending on it for full time income. I was looking for something I could do as little or as much as I want, I love traveling and don't mind spending lots of time alone, although I plan to haul only a couple times a month. I do all my own maintenance and have no problem sleeping in and eating out of the truck. I already have an auxiliary fuel tank, my biggest expense in getting into this so far has been the 5th wheel hitch, my truck already had a B&W turnover GN hitch, so I ordered a B&W Companion Slider (short bed pickup), should be here Tuesday. Got my physical, DOT inspection and all DOT mandated supplies, just waiting on my insurance before I can head out to Indiana for orientation (I live 350 miles east of Elkhart). So I'm pretty excited about this, but I had a couple questions for some of you that have been doing it for a while:
    1) The company I will be leasing on to, pays a bit more for stateside loads going north of I80. Why is this?
    3) Any reason to NOT run to Canada? I don't live far from the border, I have a passport and go to Canada multiple times a month, so I'm pretty familiar with wait times and border crossing. As long as paperwork is correct, there shouldn't be much hassle other than waiting, right? My truck is a 4x4 and I live in the Great Lakes snow belt, snow and bad roads does not scare me at all, where I live there's some years we don't see pavement all winter.
    2) How hard is it to get a load going to the Northeast (toward home for me)?
    Thanks for any input!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.