Sales Tax Exemption

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by SK27, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SK27

SK27 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Georgia
    Let me start by saying that I run under my own authority. I'm in the process off buying a different truck and trailer, today I was at the dealer and told him I'm a common carrier and can file form ST-5 (Georgia) to be exempt from sales tax. I have my sales tax number (sales & use tax). I know that I have to fill out form ST-5 and check box 6 because I'm a common carrier. Now my question for all off you that have used this exemption is; When you buy the truck or trailer and don't pay the sales tax at the time of purchase do you have to pay it monthly on the sales and use tax return (lady at Georgia Dept. Revenue told me I have to pay it monthly) (GA has me set up on a monthly sale and use tax return)?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    That is why you need a good accountant but the government will be more than happy to tell you how to pay your taxes.

Lab_Rat_Logistics Thanks this.
  4. Kinnick3

Kinnick3 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Midwest
    What about if you pay cash? I just bought a truck about 8 months ago

5. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    I think @RedForeman is Georgia-based and might be able to help you with this.

6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    No. The equipment sale is exempt. The monthly filing is just a consequence of having to get the sales tax ID set up in order to use the exemption. Hand the dealer a completed ST-5 and they should delete the sales tax line. You may also get a tax bill from DOR when your title is processed. I just sent another ST-5 back with a copy of the invoice (no payment) and they were good. I think they only do that with private sales, though.

Since you're not selling any retail goods, you just need to remember to file a short return every month. Since you (likely) are only selling a service that's not taxable, you'll report your monthly sales and also put that same amount in the exempt category for a tax due of zero. Click submit and you're done. The exception would be if you sell any goods at retail. For example selling equipment or surplus gear. If you sell to anyone but another retailer, like the guy that answers your craigslist ad, you will need to collect and pay sales tax or get their ST-5 for an exempt sale.

7. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    One more thing: after you've had a year or so of on-time zero sales tax returns, call the DOR and ask if you can be changed to a yearly filer. They will do that in cases like a motor carrier that routinely collects no sales tax to be paid in.

Also, don't forget that monthly return. Easy to do if you're only on the tax system quarterly for IFTA. They do charge a late fee if you forget, even if there is no tax due. Trust me, they add up LOL.

SK27, Mattflat362 and d o g Thank this.
  8. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Sure would be nice if we got an tax exemption here in AL.. The best way to sell equipment is get cash fold neatly and put in pocket forget forms.

9. SK27

SK27 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Georgia
    @RedForeman, Thank you for the detalied explanation, it's very simple when somebody knows how to explain it.

Harman2000 and RedForeman Thank this.
  10. SK27

SK27 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Georgia
    @RedForeman I have a question about what all is exempt, I know that parts to fix trucks/trailers are exempt but when it comes to trucks and trailers, is it only trucks that are exempt or do trailers also count as "rolling stock"? Thanks.

buckmanmike Thanks this.
  11. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    Truck, trailer, or any part of it is exempt. However, there is Federal Excise Tax due on brand new stuff, and obviously separate from state sales tax.

SK27 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.