Sanden compressor swap worth it?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ParkerFly, May 29, 2016.

1. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have a Kenworth with a York a/c compressor that just doesn't cool well. Compressor, expansion valve and dryer are all new and it made no difference. The sleeper unit is brand new and blows the same temp. For anyone who has done it before will swapping to a Sanden style compressor help with my temps any? I have gotten different answers and don't want to throw money away on a swap that doesn't help. Thanks,

Justin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    How does the gauges look when running? Also what does your condenser look like (age and appearance)? Have you cleaned your evaporator and do you have cut-off valves on your heater hoses?
    I personally prefer the Sanden units over York style but both should do the job.

4. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    The San den swap is for better reliability not better cooling. It will only improve of your current compressor is shot.

5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Mine didn't cool well either after replacing all that stuff. Then I replaced the condenser and she blows nice and cold, York compressor and all. Doesn't leak anymore either. I think the York is just as good as a Sanden, and they seem to last longer. Lots of older vehicles running around still using Yorks. I have nothing against a Sanden, but my W9 came with a York, so I just stuck with it.

Like Smellfunny said, make sure your heater valves are closed on the engine.

6. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    This truck condenser is the one where it is the grille also (folds open with the hood, old w900a). They're wide open so nothing can even get stuck in them and it appears to be in pretty good shape. The previous owner supposedly cleaned the evaporator and resealed the duct work and everything else.
    The truck does have heater valves on it that I keep closed. If they are open it won't blow anything except very hot air even if the a/c is on.
    This weekend I was driving it and it was cloudy and in the low 80s and even with the fan on 60 degrees is as cold as it would blow. That was fine for that day but if the sun is out and it's up closer to 90 it's hard to keep the windows rolled up. That's with the sleeper unit running wide open and all the vents pointed at me.

Justin

7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Have you checked that your Blend Door inside of your dash is working properly?

Alot of the times when people complain that there's not a significant change in temperature between the A/C and Heat it can sometimes be traced to a defective Blend Door Actuator which is not fully opening or closing.

8. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    I haven't thought to check that but that may be what's going on. Since I always keep the water shut anyway off I've never worried too much about it.

9. upallnite

upallnite Light Load Member

May 15, 2010
    Hempstead,TX
    you might need to pull and clean the evaporator cores while you have the system down. Takes a little work, but well worth the time.

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    That's the next order of business for mine. I don't think it puts out as much air as it should.

11. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    The sleeper unit is a complete brand new unit and it doesn't blow out any colder. It does share freon with the cab unit though which is what leads me to believe the problem isn't in the evaporator core but somewhere else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.