Seagate Transportation

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Landincoldfire, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    A new site member, been surfing here but figured with my latest trucking adventure with a little known carrier. I'd start a thread on the carrier and their leasing option plus my experience with them as time goes on.

Been trucking all my life in some form or another. I can blame the First Sargent of my Unit in the Army when the 'opportunity' came up. I've always liked trucks and once I got to my unit and he asked me if I could drive a truck. Of course I said yes but a voice was screaming in the back of my head, no you can't! Fooled them all along with my self. Spent three years in Ft. Benning supporting the new released Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle. What a party that was....Fast forward 30 years and here I am.

Back in the beginning of September I quit with a local farmer's organic co-op. I've been with them seven years and it was a hard choice for me but needed to be done. I started with them when they had just two trucks and worked out a large storage unit. When I left they had just broke ground on a 80 thousand square foot warehouse with as much as 35 seasonal trucks. But end the end, their lack of caring about drivers and making the delivery conditions better is what made my decision to leave easy.

Looking at the calendar it seems a month has gone past and it seems I've made my choice. No bragging here but my skill set offers me job choices that can overwhelm anyone. So many applications, interviews, offers and time thinking. Early on, leasing options weren't even on the table. I've own a truck before and failed at it. I was young and stupid at the time, I'll be fifty later this month and think I grew enough to give this another shot.

I forget how I came across the link for Seagate Transportation. Did most of my searches within Craigslist and Indeed so it was probably the latter. Dropped them a copy of my resume and within a day or two received a call from their recruiter Bradley G. We swapped emails and a few phone calls which lead to me deciding on them.

This thread is going to be on their lease purchase program. They do offer a few other plans as well as company drivers. They offer a down payment assistance plan for an outright purchase of a truck of your choice but I didn't qualify for that. (Paying off Uncle Sam for back taxes.) Also will report back with general hauling practices, dispatching, traffic routes and how they handle issues. (Both mine and theirs.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
    Reason for edit: Removed employee last name
    KriegHund and Loke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Good luck and definitely keep us posted.

4. Landincoldfire

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Alright. Got into Perrysburg, OH this evening. Seagate put me up in a decent hotel for the night and will do the orientation tomorrow.

Loke Thanks this.
  5. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Hope it's all your looking for in a company.

6. Landincoldfire

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    The orientation was everything one would expect. Full of information, paperwork and safety videos. Bradley prefers to do this one on one so all concerns can be addressed personally. Every they offer is in plain English with words even us drivers can understand. Their electronic log app is a little confusing but most will catch on soon.

Turns out Seagate is a lot smaller than I thought. I suppose the lack of information provided via the inter-Web should of been a clue. The fleet is around 25 power units with mostly dry 53 foot wagons with a couple reefer boxes.Their office is tucked away at the end of the street in Perrysburg. The office staff is friendly and helpful.

Tomorrow is my first load, stay tuned.

Loke Thanks this.
  7. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Congratulations where's the pics.

8. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    What are the terms of your lease?

9. Landincoldfire

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Got finish with my first load last night and had to take the ten hour break. Which I will say, was needed. I'm rusty on the whole OTR routine and it showed by the end of the day. Also, electronic log books? I almost like the old school way of doing it. The load it's self was an easy move and one I will again.

Now for those of you that could be interested in Seagate, here is what they offer. As far as the equipment goes, they have a couple programs working. I chose to lease a Volvo 670 (Volvo powered iShift) with 350k. Overall decent truck to get started without overwhelming my financial needs. My lease terms are 475 a week for three years with a dollar buy out. They also work with local truck dealer and will assist the right driver with down payment cash. If you choose this option, you are only required to remain leased to Seagate for 6 months.

Their pay is 1.07 for empty and 1.13 for loaded. Extra .06 per mile for hazmat and FAST for an extra .12 cents. Bring your own Android phone for another .01. They pass on the whole fuel surcharge which is at .25 cents per mile at the moment. They can help with base plate, permits and insurance. They do require a $2500 escrow that is taken at $50 per week until paid. It is refundable if not used. Lease plans require a .14 cents per mile maintenance fee that is also refundable if not used. I'm sure I overlooked something but yeah it seems decent enough to give it a go.

Attached Files:

traveler770 and Loke Thank this.
  10. Landincoldfire

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Suppose adding the area they operate in wouldn't be a bad idea. So that area would be upper midwest, mid-eastern and lower Canada. They do adventure beyond these areas but it is rare.

Loke Thanks this.
  11. Loke

Loke Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Just came across their website, and this thread. What are the credit and down payment requirements? Also, what are the average miles per week? Are they hiring drivers from Michigan? Thanks for all the info so far!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.