SHake and shudder/max rev and rough idle with a 2007 cummins isx.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by lciambotti1, Aug 24, 2015.

1. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    OK. I pulled into a toll plaza, paid then as I pulled out, the engine RPM pegged and for awhile wouldn't come down. Shut the engine off and restarted, running rough and when I push the clutch in it revs back up. Rough idle between 800-1000 rpms. I changed all the filters about 5 hours ago, then got fuel. Rode 4 hours and this was the first time I actually slowed down to go through the toll plaza. 2007 Cummins ISX. Any ideas? I have a service guy bringing new fuel filters but not sure that is the answer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK. for codes, try to look down inside fuel tanks with a strong light to see whats at bottom of fuel tank, but it may just be ecm problem.

4. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    No warning lights. I was thinking about the fuel. I also got fuel for the reefer and its running fine.

5. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    Seriously, if the tach is up against the governor and it just kinda took off on its own, there's a possibility something bad is about to happen. Runaway engines don't happen much anymore, but when they do.... wow. Is it possible that you didn't get the filters tightened properly and it's sucking air from somewhere, maybe a rolled over O-ring? That could explain the rough idle, not sure about the runaway though.

6. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    I tried tightening them again. I have a truck bringing new filters out. I've been sitting for about 45 minutes. Tried starting it again. still rough idle and some shuddering between 800-1000 rpm's. Pushed the clutch in and it revved to about 13-1400 rpm and stayed there. Not revving to the governor anymore. Still seems weird that all I have to do is lay my foot on the clutch pedal and let it drop to where the play stops and it revs up. The place where I got the filters changed, fooled around under the truck for awhile They had an issue with the oil filter housing. Is there anything underneath there they could have dorked up?

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Try using the switch on cruz. control to try and turn down hi. idle while its running at hi idle? looks like bad switch at clutch ped. or wire harn. from clutch to eng. shorted somewhere, use strong flash light to look at all wires they were near at oil filter and from switch to firewall.

8. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    So when the service truck pulled in he looked the engine over and said the filters won't help. Something is broke in the engine. He suggested a good shop. I started the truck, still shuddering but I the rpm's were not revving to the governor, I started nursing the truck to the shop, it cleared out and seems to be running fine. Maybe an injector? Plus a little praying didn't hurt!!

9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    When you have a chance take off the air tubes at turbo to look for oil inside of them oil would make some extra smoke an make eng. rev up but most run up past 2000 rpm when oil flowing is out of turbo seals?

10. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    OK. I'll check them as soon as I get home.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The fact that it revs up as soon as you touch the clutch pedal and deactivate the clutch switch makes me think this is an electrical problem. I would suspect chaffed wiring because normally if you have the high idle set with the cruise switch, tapping the clutch should bring you back to idle, not the other way around. Keep us posted, I'd be interested in seeing what the issue was.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.