shifting uphill empty

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by stylicho, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I used to have a serious problem starting out on a grade without stalling the sucker out. Once I got that smoothed out, I wouldn't shift in the normal range but higher in the tach. I learned this much from C R England. "Up high. Down low." When you're going up a grade, shift higher in the range. When going down, shift lower.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Upshifting on an upgrade requires quickness because the truck is losing momentum during the shift. A quick shift is possible if you use the clutch brake to stop the input shaft of the transmission during the double-clutch. As you move the stick through neutral, jam the clutch to the floor against the clutch brake and simultaneously select the next gear. The effect is to stop the transmission shafts from spinning although the engine is still unwinding. Shifting with the Jake also slows everything quicker than normal.

4. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Try in adjust the speed you shift, typically the standard 1-2 count works for most.. You may need to speed that up going up an incline because your RPM's are dropping faster therefore shift motion needs to match that. just the opposite for going down a hill.

5. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    follow roadrangers advice,leave the jake on low or 1st position,it helps your timing without the clutch and you can look good to others that way. I know for a fact alot of drivers can't get the shifting down smoothly unless they use the jake trick to shift.Best to get used to no clutch and no jake and shift fast,you will do better with practice. As far as going up a steep incline,just stay in a steady gear,go slower but its alot easier on the driveline if you are patient,especially with little experience,you may statter the transmision gears or driveline all over the road. Best to practice shifting the lower side,then the higher side,especially shifting down from high to low,on a level road or parking lot, pride yourself and learn right and shift really smooth and lay on that throttle smoothly,soon you will shift it like an automatic,which is the right way. The trans and driveline will stay nice and tight and the next driver will appreciate that truck alot better,when you get a newer one to drive. Good luck out there.

6. C&K trucking

C&K trucking Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2007
    God anyone rember the old Mack 5 speeds . Talk about a pain to shift on a hill empty or loaded . If it did not have a Jake or dynatard . look out trying to grab the next gear . Used to drive a mixer with the 5X2 in it . No engine brake what so ever . Fun fun Not

7. Randall

Randall Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Grafton Wv
    DO NOT listen to this guy!!! As long as the truck is moving all your doing is burning the clutch brake......LMAO...News flash man....If you do somehow stop those shafts..LOL..hold on...cause ur tires are going to lock up...LOL Never hold the clutch to the floor when the truck is moving, even at a slow drift..This is how clutch brakes are wore, or burnt out...

zentrucking Thanks this.
  8. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I'll tell you whats real fun. Start at the bottom of a steep grade with a loaded smooth-bore tanker. On rare occasion, I'll shift a gear or two with the jake so I don't loose any road speed between shifts. You can change gears almost instantly and if you're good, it ought to be perfectly seamless without so much as the slightest rocking of the cab. If you ain't good, you'll probably toss your own ### out the window of a now disasembled truck. Most times, I'll keep the RPMs in the lower gears down low and speed shift with light throttle. As the gears get higher, so will the RPMs therfor, the shifts will get wider and the throttle will go down further. I'm working with a 425 C-12 on a 10 speed so results may vary.

9. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I drove an F model cabover, 237 with a 5 speed, 68mph downhill with a tail wind! Everybody always told me to light a cigarette between gears, but I didn't smoke.

Maybe the person saying to use the clutch brake (WRONG!) is either a clutch salesman, or trying to drum up business for a repair shop!

10. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    You should always lift the front left tire off the ground when you shift. That way you know youre good. I've driven 1.9 million miles and havent learned to shift yet. Started on a 5, then 4X4 and even a 10spd with a 2 speed brownie and a 2 spd rearend. It had a V 12 CAT and would smoke like a coal train.Learn to shift with no clutch like you have an egg under your foot.:biggrin_25514:

11. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I was about to post the same thing. That surge hitting the back wall is like dropping an anchor. It can bring you to a standstill right when you want to grab that next gear. I run the RPMS up much higher than normal and don't wast any time jamming that next gear.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.