Shortages and capacity trouble in the bulk industry.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ethos, May 23, 2014.

1. Eddie Kingpin

Eddie Kingpin Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Houston Tx
    With all the previous comments of quality drivers needed for tanker hauling (which I agree with), do the experienced drivers recommend people getting into tankers fresh out of cdl school? This of course being asked considering all the extra safety concerns for tankers in mind... esp for hazmat hauling. I ask because one might not have the experience, but that doesn't mean he is without potential quality if trained properly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Sure. Several of us here started out of school. That is one way companies have begun to find guys. Get them in before they develop a lot of bad habits in a van. I've heard trainers say it's easier to train someone just out of school that someone with years of experience because they don't have to break bad habits.

Eddie Kingpin Thanks this.
  4. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Absolutely, start in tankers. I wish I had done that. You're not missing anything with the other types of freight.

Eddie Kingpin Thanks this.
  5. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas

All-American82 Thanks this.
  6. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    Again, Absolutely!!! If you can hire on with a good company. By all means, go for it.

Because here's reality in tankers. At least in my experience. They are constantly hiring, and "testing" drivers. But if you don't have the right temperment you won't last or be here long anyways. They WILL let you go. I have watched "experienced" driver after "experienced" driver come, test, then you never see them again. I think, as was stated, they would rather train you before you develope "bad habits" then try to BREAK you of your bad habits! I got my first tanker job after only 9 months of ACTUAL "experience". BUT- BUT-BUT, I present myself as professional. I take my job VERY seriously. And I'M TRAINABLE!!!! I NEVER-NEVER-NEVER forget what I'm hauling. I think my BIGGEST job is, just paying attention!!!

I live in Northern Nevada. We get EVERY kind of weather here. From 100+ degrees in the summer to snow, Ice, and everything in between. I can NEVER take road conditions for granted. Among other things.

I think I'm getting a little long here. The point is, If you have "Potential" as you say, you will find a very good home in tankers. You will be paid better. Have more chances for local or more home time than in other forms of trucking. And YOU just happen to live in "tanker heaven". So it shouldn't be too hard, if you present yourself as professional!

Good luck !!!

ethos and Eddie Kingpin Thank this.
  7. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL

8. Eddie Kingpin

Eddie Kingpin Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Houston Tx
    Thanks for clearing that up guys! It appears as though I DO live in tanker heaven lol. I graduated at the beginning of this month but I've been waiting on my hazmat approval from TSA. I applied with SVTN but can't start until it's official that I can haul hazmat...which isn't an issue with my clean back ground...just sucks that I haven't driven or touched a truck since graduation day (3 weeks ago). Anyway, before this gets off topic, I asked not only for myself but for others as well. This seems like the prefect thread to do so and if it is a good/safe idea to start a driving career straight into tankers I'd hate for people to shy away from it. Thanks again guys!

EDIT: About the capacity shortage, one problem that is out of our hands but very much a possibility as to why there aren't enough drivers could also be because of the waiting period someone like myself has to go through in some cities/states. In Houston, I was told at DPS that I couldn't get a hazmat endorsement until I had an actual CDL license to apply it to. As every hazmat driver knows, this process takes anywhere from 2-8 weeks depending on location (and possibly other things I'm unaware of). Well, as stated above, here I am in mid-week 3 post graduation of CDL school, and DPS testing. I've literally been sitting around the house, reading these threads, watching YouTube vids about Tankers, inspections, paying for, and taking online training via JJKeller just to keep my mind fresh while I wait..and wait some more for an approval from the TSA.

My point is, and it may be obvious by now: New drivers may not want to wait around for this process to complete so they can start driving right out of school. When you apply for a job they test you as stated above.. as we all know, the longer you wait, the higher the chances are of a recent graduate getting rusty, or forgetting a few things they could be tested on and that might tip a companies decision for your employment.

Does this effect the tanker industry right now? Probably not as much..I don't know, but in the next 5-10.. maybe 15 yrs as the current drivers get older and retire.. it could be troublesome if the endorsement process is still the same.

This is all my inexperienced opinion, and guess, but seems valid at this point.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    This is a good point, many people come to tankers but a lot don't make it. I was in the training department at Schneider and we let a bunch of people go because they just didn't have it.

All-American82 Thanks this.
  10. realsupatrucka

realsupatrucka Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2013
    houston tx
    Great thread ethos. ..but everyone is not meant to yank a tank...ive only been pulling them a short while but im a really fast learner...if you dont pay attention to detail with this tank it can result in death or serious injury. ..driving or just unloading....you have to change your driving habits pulling a tank..you actually have to think to pull a tank...alot of guys want to back up to a door and get in the sleeper....pulling a tank is the best decision I could have ever made in my trucking career. ..but then ive seen guys with no skin...or blind in one eye because they didnt respect the liquid anymore...but I ddefinitely agree they should pay more...

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  11. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    This is what bothers me about getting ready to move to Bulk. I have been driving for 10 years(Vans,Doubles &Triples,Turnpike doubles) and I'm worried that I have bad habits. I know I take Turns too fast and exit ramps too fast(For a tanker). I've been trying to pretend that I'm hauling a tanker all then, even though I'm hauling a Van. But I'm worried that I have other habits that need an outside eye to see. I trust my attitude and my instincts and my professionalism. But I really wish I had started tankers when I first got my CDL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.