Signs of Bad king pins/bushings!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by nikmirbre, Jul 2, 2015.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Ran in to a friend today with a 2015 cascadia with Goodyear tires that had same wear problem. He had the front end checked and there was nothing found. He thinks its because the tires weren't balanced correctly?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  4. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    he is correct. more than likely bad rim.

5. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I had the same pattern on my old tires. King pins were tight, did a 3 axle alignement and problem fixed. But if you still have shake at 45 mph, probably tires or rims are bent. Had a set of Bridgestone on front, still have tread left, but truck was shaking like crazy and I just gave them away to friend's trailer.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Does anyone thank that rubber compounds in tires may sometimes be inconsistent and cause irregular tire wear? I have a truck with about 40,000 miles on it that was taken to dealer with about 2500 miles on it for drivability problems. Then taken it to an independent shop that trued the tires and spin balanced on truck. The irregular wear is similar but worse than the previous pictures. Experienced this years ago with a group of fleet trucks. I won't drag this out but I believe it happens.

7. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    if you don't have any worn components in the front suspension, I'd invest in a set of Centramatics for the steer tires. They can pay for themselves in saving tire wear and component wear.

8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I had Kingpins/shocks/tie rods/bearings/seals/all replaced a few weeks ago……Im gonna go ahead this coming week and replace the tires and find a good alignment shop here in the charlotte area!!!!

9. Techtim

Techtim Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Have to becareful. Doing that can also be bearing issues. Have someone looke when you lift and see if the king pin moves. Basically the area under that top zerk behind wheel. Freightliner says 1/8 of inch of movment or more is bad. Most techs will tell you any movement is bad

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    If your alignment guy was worth a dam. he would have told you about the problem before taking your money. Find a reputable tire & alignment shop!

11. bbigcnote

bbigcnote Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2008
    northeast, missouri
    my kingpins only had a slight up and down movement. the steer axle under my classic doesnt have the actually king pins. the pins are made in the axle and their are bushing under the tyop and bottom. actually cheaper then having to replace the pins and all but if the actually king pin is bad have to replace the whole axle.

duddie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.