Silly question about a 48 foot flatdeck and a 16 foot pup trailer?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by rbrauns, Oct 19, 2016.

1. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Let's say I owned a 48 foot flat deck and wanted to haul a Super B load. If I had the trailer modified and added a pintel hook, would it be possible to tow a 16 foot pup trailer like the dump trucks do? I'm in Western Canada and the minimum WB for a second trailer is 20 feet (6.5 m) but that assumes the second trailer is attached via a 5th wheel. What if I used a pintel hook? The max length of both trailers is limited to 65 feet.

Any ideas? I'd like to not sell my flatdeck and buy a dedicated Super B because then I'm limited to mostly lumber. Dropping off a small pup trailer at truckstop would be great.

Rob

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    You are allowed up to 27.5m overall wheelbase on a Super-B permit. Your method of pulling the second trailer would be an A-train. I'm not sure about permits for those.

And Super-B's are incredibly flexible. You get 60 feet of deck space as opposed to 53 feet, and can get equipment mounted to carry 60 foot material with no over-length permits (they are racks that go on either trailer that have swivels in them). Plus, you can overhang the bridge as much as you want.

The only reason people think they "only pull lumber" is because they don't creatively book loads. You can get two American loads on a single set of trains, and if you have somewhere/someone to transfer them, you have a lot more potential loads.

I think it would be really hard to get that setup to work and legal. If you want to start pulling more weight, you might have to look at a set of trains.

barroll Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    So you have 64 feet of deck and max length of 65 feet. That only leaves you 1 foot of space between the 2 trailers. Right?

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Erm, clkose.

B trains here run like freaking two truckloads on one rig.

You will NOT do B train on a tiny ### 10 speed neither. You are looking at 15 or even 18 gears...

What I really want is a Aussie 10 trailer road train. Pay me 5.00 a mile cross the USA.

6. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    @Zeviander,

Thanks for your very informative reply. Right now, I'm just about to buy a trailer and see a lot of Super B lumber loads out of northern Saskatchewan. The back hauls from say Winnipeg or Calgary are flatdecks but rarely Super B, so my thinking was to drop off the second smaller pup and then get a back haul load using a lead trailer long enough to accept a straight flatdeck load.

I've since checked the regs and see that the second trailer must have a WB of at least 20.5 feet whether the second trailer is attached by a pintle hook or 5th wheel. So, what are your thoughts on a 42 foot lead trailer and a 22 foot pup with 18 inches of gap between them?

I will look into the swivel racks. Thanks again for your help.

RB

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Link to dimension and weight limits for Alberta (regulation summary): https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/4777.htm

There is a weight calculator where you can input your trailer dimensions, including axle wheelbase and spacing for the various configurations.

Note: as posted by @Zeviander, the maximum LOA for a B-train is 27.5 m not 26 m as shown (hey, it has only been two years, they'll get around to updating their website... eventually).

Heavy Truck Weight and Dimension Limits for Interprovincial Operations in Canada (December 2014): http://www.comt.ca/english/programs/trucking/MOU 2014.pdf

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    MJ1657 Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    @rbrauns No problem.

I'd say so long as you run legal, it would be a decent strategy. I don't think, honestly though, it's wise to go with an uncommon setup. Shippers/customers want particular loads. Could you load and scale a Super-B load on that setup if you went with it? Is the loss of 6 feet on the lead worth it (a lot of steel products are 40-48 foot material, or 20-24 feet)?

Freight right now is really slow, I would personally wait for it to pick up again before changing your equipment. You won't be sure what section of the industry is going to pick up faster again, and may want those trains to run lumber because that's what picks up.

9. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    A typical B-train flatdeck in Canada is a 32' lead and 28' pup with 3' between. The LOA is still only 60-61' because the pin setback on the pup is typically 24-36". There are variations, but that is most common.

The difference between a B-Train and a Super-B is that a B-train has four axles on the trailers and a Super-B has five (three on the lead).

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    BTW, I hauled B-trains for four years and hauled lumber exactly once.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  11. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I think lumber is so common on trains in Canada because most company drivers don't do load planning, so the company just takes the easiest route to making them pay. There are a few drivers I see around that do LTL loads (usually 3-4 different things) and probably make a buttload of money doing it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.