Sirius Radio- Significant Background Noise (Hiss, Humm, Etc.)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Southeast Trucker Mike, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    Hey Truckers!

I use the aux-in jack to the 2012 Freightliner Cascadia's stock radio for my Sirius XM receiver. I KNOW that the background noise is coming from the DC plug-in power source because I get the same problem when my iPhone is used to play music the same way. However, if the iPhone is NOT plugged into the power source (running on battery), then the sound is completely clear and perfect with no background noise at all.

I've read other posts regarding this problem with CB radios. Specifically, what exactly IS an "in-line noise suppressor"... how does it work, is it easy to install, where does it go and, most importantly, DO THEY WORK for you? Do they affect the quality of the signal from the Sirius receiver to the radio? How much should I expect to pay, and is one brand any better than another? Any specific "specifications" I should be looking for?

As always... any help is appreciated and welcomed!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You can try buying a better insu. conn. wire going from XM over to radio, the thicker insu. will cut out extra noise.

Southeast Trucker Mike Thanks this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Woah there driver. Looks like your radio is being tapped by the feds. Better wrap the inside of your truck with tinfoil

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  5. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    I don't think you need a suppressor. It sounds more like a faulty component like a blown diode on the alternator, bad brushes or scored armature/shorted windings. Any competent shop can check this fairly quickly.

I take it there is no problem while the engine is off?

TA

6. Southeast Trucker Mike

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    Good idea... of course, I'm already WEARING the tin-foil HAT!! I'll wear it then snap a pic for my profile shot, right?

lovesthedrive and HorseShoe Thank this.
  7. Southeast Trucker Mike

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    The operative phrase in your reply is "competent shop"... I am a Company driver, and I think this particular problem would be about at the bottom of their reasons to troubleshoot an electrical system.

Since you seem to know about diodes, alternators, etc... tell me if you think this idea might work. I have a 1500w inverter... so, would converting that A/C current BACK to D/C current for the Sirius receiver likely resolve the "noise" problem? Whaddaya think?

PS Regarding noise when truck shut off, I'm not certain because the DC source is a switched circuit... but I'll try using one that is constant on.

8. TAfool

Dec 8, 2012
    Not likely to work. Dirty DC in will inject noise throughout the conversion, HOWEVER, if it's a good inverter it likely has better filtering circuits and would lessen the noise considerably.

Should be able to just turn the key on to energize the switched circuit. No?

TA

9. TAfool

Dec 8, 2012
    Deleted. Double posted.

10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Is the audio line crossing the power line at any point? If so try rerouting the wires.

flood Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have the same issue with my truck, I tried every thing I can think if other than getting rid if the plug in style power cord and going to the one that is installed into the vehicle to eliminate the noise - I've got one for my pickup.

I think that the plug in style power supply is picking up the noise through the air, not a connection made to the truck power.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.