Sirius XM

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LMB, Aug 31, 2016.

1. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    I own my truck, and I am have trouble with channels fading out. I have the mushroom type antenna mounted on the passenger side mirror. What is the best Sirius XM antenna I can buy. By the way it is a 2099 Volvo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pocketaces

pocketaces Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Sometimes the antenna connection on the radio itself goes bad depending on how old the radio is frim vibrations from the truck. Otherwise the mushroom antenna works well.

4. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    Thank you, yeah I have had this radio for about 6 years. Bout time to get another. I have heard it is how you place the antenna wire that might make a difference, any truth?

5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Yes antenna mounting location has a lot to do with it. Try mounting it so its just above the roof of the truck so it has an unobstructed view of the sky.

LMB Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What receiver do you have? Does it have a signal strength indicator? Does it register on the low side all the time? Does it fade in/out even when stationary and outside? It's not unheard of for antennas to "go bad". It could be the gain hardware in the mushroom antenna itself or a damaged coax. I've found that all things being equal and properly mounted in a good location, the smaller puck type antennas work as well as the expensive "high-gain" mushroom antennas.

LMB Thanks this.
  7. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    Thanks to all

8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I don't know if you are the driver who called in yesterday asking about whether we had seen a recent difference in calls about SiriusXM reception. However, the answer is yes - we are now seeing increased activity about this, as if they changed something on their end maybe. Either that or cosmic anomalies this week.

9. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    I'm noticing a huge increase in "acquiring signal" on a couple of my radios. Have called Sirius and they say they don't know what I'm talking about, " we'll refresh your signal ". However nothing has changed on my end as far as routing or radios go, but still getting signal loss. A couple buddies of mine are experiencing the same issue.

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Probably some stray solar radiation bursts as part of an ongoing "solar storm" that they've been assured "are no problem and should not affect service" so there story is to act like nothing is wrong.

I've been running from SLC to ATL last several days and only lost signal in SE KS for about 3 minutes a few days ago.

11. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    My biggest loss is on the channel that has the old mystery programs, I can't remember the channel off hand , and my truck is in the shop so I can't go look

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.